News – 6 October 2019
Sydney Sixers Special offer
West Penno are signed up members of the Sydney Sixers. This gives us special offers available only to Sixers Member Clubs.
Sydney Sixers 3 game members are exclusively discounted for Club partners:
- $5 off individual (adult, junior & concession) and $15 off family (2a+2J) memberships.
- Memberships can be purchased from here
- After clicking ‘add promo code’ they will need to type MAGENTACLUB into the text box to access the discount.
Any questions, please reach out to Aaron Wharton at the Sixers – 0438 507 374 or here
Photo of the Month
Our Photo of the Month is on again this season. Our good supporters, Bistro WPH, have sponsored us with a gift voucher to the value of $50 for the best photo of the month. Bistro WPH run the Bistro at the Sports Club and make the best pizza’s in the District plus lots of other eating options. Check out their website on here
Photos are always welcome from across our Sections – Junior Blasters, Junior Boys & Girls plus Seniors.
They can be traditional photos of players batting and bowling, team shots, family and friends who are spectators – anything. In the past, the some of the best photos have been fun shots of people having fun.
How do I participate?
Just take a photo of anything cricket related and send it to Ross Anderson – here . The photo will be put on the website and our Club Chairman will make a decision on the best photo. The winner will get a $50 dinner voucher – it is that easy.
The Academy starts on Monday 21 October and is a great opportunity for anyone who wants to improve their cricket.
This is high quality training program over 10 weeks that no other Club in our Association offers and very few Clubs in Australia. It is targeted at Boys (U12 to U16) and Girls (U13 to U17). A few things:
- The Coaches are elite Premier 1st Grade and International (Test) players
- For the Girls we have Premier Women’s 1st Grade & WBBL players
- Senior (All Age) players will also be available
- The cost is a ridiculously low $225 for 10 sessions – just $22.50 per session! The equivalent cost of privately run Clinics is between $800 & $1,000.
How do I participate?
Please contact the following people who will be able to explain next steps and arrange registration:
Skills Clinics for our Junior Boys and Girls start next week. These Clinics are free and run throughout the season where our Juniors get high quality coaching that is an add-on to the normal Team based coaching.
Girls Only Master Blasters (7 to 10 years of age)
Starting on Friday 11th October a Girls-only Cricket Blast Program starts at Thornleigh Oval.
For Girls interested in playing cricket, having fun, being with friends, dancing and playing some more cricket to music we are joining with Girls from Thornleigh, Castle Hill, Kenthurst, Galston-Glenorie, Normanhurst, Pennant Hills and Beecroft to play at the one ground – Thornleigh Oval.
So if you have a daughter, sister, grand-daughter or have a neighbour who hits a ball around at a Park or in the backyard then please let them know about this great initiative.
Some brief details:
- When does this start – Friday 11th October and ends 29th November (8 weeks)
- Where are the games played – Thornleigh Oval
- What time – 6.00 pm to 7.30 pm
- What is the cost – $100
- What do the Girls wear – we will have special coloured shirts for the girls plus they get a Big Bash League hat of their preference.
How do I register?
Register via our website Registration page or contact Suzanna or Grant Colburt at here or by phone: Grant: 0413 594 077 / Suzanna: 0413 594 082.
Girls-Only School Holiday Program
These school holidays, the Sydney Sixers are teaming up with the HK&HDCA Coaches Association to offer a Girls-Only School Holiday Program with the aim of getting some new participants for our Girls-Only Master Blaster Hubs. We want to give local girls an opportunity to come and try cricket so the program has been designed with that in mind. There will be dancing, art and much more. Details of this program are:
- When: Thursday 10th October, 9am-3pm
- Where: Mark Taylor Oval, Waitara
- Cost: $20
- Ages: 7-12
- Registration is at here
Junior Blasters (aged 5 to 7 years)
Girls and Boys play every Saturday starting on 12 October at Edward Bennett Oval. Registrations are open throughout the season but it is wise to register soon so that friends can play together in the same team.
Girls aged 8 to 16
We have 4 x Teams this season who play T20s on Saturday afternoons:
- U13s (x 2 Teams)
We start on Saturday 12th October so there is still time to register but the sooner you register, it helps us to plan and get things like training schedules organised.
After the first Round game last week the Competition has a break during the School Holidays and starts again on Saturday 12th October.
After the first Round our Team standings are:
- U15 & U16s – =1st White, Orange, Blue; Bye (Red)
- U14s – = 1st Orange, Red; =7th Red, Blue, Green; Bye = Purple
- U13s – 1st Green; =3rd Blue, Red, White
- U12s – =1st Blue, =7th Orange, Green, Gold; =14th Red
- U11s – =1st Red, Blue; =6tg Orange; =11th Green; =13th Gold.
- U8s to U10s – no competition points allocated
Seniors (All Age)
Well done to our 1st players who notched up significant personal milestones:
- 1,000 runs – John Rose (C2)
- 100 wickets – Andy Meikle (A2)
Personal Achievements / Milestones
The Home page of the website has an update of personal Milestones – who has an approaching milestone and who achieved one. The system is about to be enhanced to update performances after every game. As a short term solution the Match Report section of the website has all this info.
Match Reports of every game are on the Match Report section of the website.
Seniors Train at the WPH Sports Club nets on Wednesday and Fridays between 5.00 pm and dusk.
After 2 Rounds, Team standings are:
- A1 – 7th
- Red (Andy) – =1st
- Blue (Gunny) – =1st
- B1 – =1st
- B2 – =3rd (6th on quotient)
- Red (Phill) – =1st (2nd on quotient)
- Blue (Fieds) – =3rd (6th on quotient)
- C2 – =3rd (3rd on quotient)
- C3 – =6th (9th on quotient)
- Red (Diggers) – =6th (7th on quotient)
- Blue (Rob) – =6th (8th on quotient)
- D2 – =3rd (5th on quotient)
Sydney Sixers membership
Included in the Registration form is an option to become Sydney Sixers Members. This is your choice to accept or decline to opportunity. It is though worth noting the benefits of Membership:
- Discounts of $5 for single membership and $15 for families
- Club priority for donation requests (Please note we are expecting an increase in Club Partners this season, so we highly recommend registering if you think that you may need any donations to ensure that you don’t miss out)
- W/BBL team signed bat.
- Entry to 3 matches (including Sydney Smash).
- Blast Squad on-field opportunity during home games.
So if you would like to signup it is as easy as doing so when you register.
One to look out for is a Special General Meeting to consider a new Constitution to replace the Model Form we have had since the early 1980s.
Since our Cub became an incorporated body all those years ago, we adopted the Model Constitution under the Act which with our growth/development since has now become somewhat irrelevant to our needs.
A revised, updated document has now been prepared and has been approved by the Executive Committee. For this to be adopted, the law requires it to be presented and approved at a special general meeting of members for which they have been given 21 day’s notice.
All members, who attend the meeting, may vote provided they are financial and over 18 years of age. The formal notice, showing venue, time, date and attaching the new constitution document, will be sent to you in the coming weeks.
Please understand that the only business allowed at that meeting will be a motion to adopt the new constitution as submitted.
More information will follow on this so stay tuned.