News – May 2022
- AGM – Wednesday 22nd June
- Registration / Information Day – Sunday 24th July
- Seniors Club training starts – Saturday 30th July
- Season start 2022/23 season – TBA but likely to be Saturday 10th Saturday
National Community Cricket Awards – Winner
“The Community Cricket Awards celebrate the amazing work of volunteers from across the country and provide an opportunity to recognise the best of the best from across the season.”
On Thursday 19 May, Cricket Australia announced our Girls as the winners of the ‘Women & Girls Initiative of the Year’ for the amazing work done by our Girls Leadership (Grant & Suz Colburt & Kirsty Newbury). This includes:
- Leadership program
- Nutrition seminar
- Umpiring sessions led by Claire Polosak
- Festival of Girls cricket at Greenway Park culminating in a Pink Stumps initiative
To quote Kirsty Newbury, our Child Protection Officer:
“What an amazing night! We are all pretty excited to have had the program recognised at this level.
We could not have done it without such a supportive team, including Darren McKeon our Stage 3 Coach, and our amazing girls!
Most of all, to Grant and Suzanna for their commitment to improving outcomes and working tirelessly to create an equal playing field for all girls within our Club and Association.
Looking forward to backing it up again this coming season.”
This is now the 14th major NSW or Australian award we have won over the last 7 years so this recognition also acknowledges our Volunteers across our Club.
Congratulations on this wonderful achievement.
Cricket Australia has agreed to bring forward implementation of the new PlayHQ system to replace MyCricket effective next season.
The latest information (20 May) from CNSW is that the new PlayHQ page will be launched on the on the CNSW website. In addition, this will include the release of a training calendar for the Clubs and Associations which will include a mixture of webinars and face-to-face sessions.
Check out the out the latest YouTube webinar for an insight into what to expect – PlayHQ webinar
Keep up to date on progress through our website.
Seniors Presentation Night
The Seniors Presentation Night, was held on Friday 6th May and was another fabulous celebration of a successful season. It was run for the first time at the Greenway Park Community Centre. Congratulations to our major Award winners:
- President’s Award (Volunteer Service) – Suz & Grant Colburt and Kirsty Newbury for Service to Girls cricket
- Player of the Year – Jack Hando (A2) – 29 wickets @ 9.2
- Outstanding Prospect – Lachlan Edwards (D1 Red) – 585 runs @ 53.2 & 17 wickets @ 19.1
Congratulations to these winners of these outstanding awards.
Check out the Photo Gallery to see the photos from the night – Photo Gallery
George Thornton Reserve – ground upgrade
Council has approved a major upgrade to George Thornton Oval. The key objective of the Master Plan was to address a significant shortfall of playing fields in West Pennant Hills, with the proposal aimed at adding one additional field at George Thornton Reserve. Council received 56 submissions during the exhibition period between 17 February 2022 and 17 March 2022.
Council proposes to construct an additional field at the Reserve, scheduled to commence later this year. The field will be initially constructed as natural turf and also include associated sports field lighting, drainage, irrigation and the relocation of the cricket pitch to a northsouth aspect as requested in the submissions.
Congratulations to our Premier’s & Grand Finalists
Congratulations to our U13 Blue Premiers and commiserations to our 2 x Runners-up:
- U14 Blue
- U16 Blue
Seniors Grand Finals were played on Saturday 19th March & Sunday 20th March. Congratulations to our Premiers:
- A2 (Andrew Morris)
- D2 (Nirav Desai)
Commiserations to our Runners up:
- A1 (Phil Wurth)
- C2 Blue (Buzz)
- D1 Blue (Ross)
While Finals glory is special, the amazing contribution from everyone in our Club to complete a largely un-interrupted season is the best result of the season. So well done and thank you to every Team and support crew that played this year irrespective of where you came in the Competition table.
Junior Club Championship
It is great to win the Junior Club Championship for the 2nd time in succession. Prior to last season the last time we won this Trophy was way back in 2008/09. What makes this special is that after our win in 2008/09 the Association changed the points allocation to make it almost impossible for a large Club to win the Award to level the playing field with smaller Clubs. This win is the result of high percentage of our Teams our ‘finishing high in the order. Our Participation over Results’ policy over many years that has made this possible by strengthening all Teams and supporting it with extensive coaching.
Congratulations to our Association Award winners who are the elite performers in their Grade.
- A2 Grade – Steven Rochow (311 runs @ 28.3)
- D2 – Arun Chaudhuri (582 runs @ 48.5)
- U15 – Archie Smith (349 runs @43.6)
- A2 Grade – Jack Hando (29 wickets @ 8.5) Note: the top 4 places were taken by WPHC players!
- U17s – Soham Agarwal (20 wickets @ 6.4)
- 101 for the A2 Grade 10th wicket by Matt Phillip (47*) & Tanay Hira (47) in the Grand Final.
Pink Stumps Day
At the Junior Presentation Day, Simon Joyce and his Team of fantastic volunteers raised $3,500 for the McGrath Foundation on Pink Stumps day.
This is a great result for this wonderful cause.
We also passed an amazing $50,000 in Club funding support to the Foundation since we started in 2010/11! Last season we were awarded the prestigious ‘Pink Service Award’ for being in the top 7 sporting Clubs nationally for funds raised. It is a great credit to everyone involved on Saturday selling raffle tickets, sourcing items for auction and being available. We are very proud of all of our volunteers and this was a fantastic way to end the season on such a high.
Champion player points
The top 6 players this season are:
- Lachlan Edwards (D1 Red) – 124.5 points
- Dylan Bish (C2 Blue) – 90.9
- Arun Chaudhuri (D2) – 89.2
- Vikas Goel b(D1 Red) – 83.7
- Daniel Vink (C3 Blue) – 73.6
- Happy Rana (D1 Blue) – 72.3
Season in review
- Lachlan Edwards lead the way with 585 runs @53.2 in D1, followed by Arun Chaudhuri (582 @48.5 in D2) and Dylan Bish (479 @34.2 in C2 and B2)
- Lachlan also had the best average
- Highest score for the season was Connor Hindmarch’s 107no. That was the club’s 502nd century (after Happy Rana scored the club’s 500th century)
- Andrew Fielder became only the 2nd player to score 7,000 runs. Can he catch the GOAT (Ross 8,038)?
- Rowan Keating (4,011) and Alan Raffel (3,942) moved into the top 20 of all time
- BTW we’re getting close to 1,000,000 runs for the clubs. Next year…
- Jack Hando was the highest wicket taker for the season with 29 @9.2, followed by Shomik (B2), Ravi Gunna (D2) and John Rose (C3) each with 24
- Zia Ahmed had the best average out of those who took more than 10 wickets – 7.4
- Jack’s 6/7 in A2 (wow!) were the best figures for the season
- Eric Junkkari became only the 3rd person to pass 500 wickets
- Luke Herzog needs just one more wicket to break into the top 20
- Rowan Keating became the highest wicket taker of all time in A2
- John Rose is now number 5 on the all time best bowling averages (players taking over 100 wickets). He also has the 5th best economy
- Luke Christensen, Ross Smith, Samuel Kirkegard and Steven Rochow tied for the most dismissals on 17. All keepers
- Ross took the most catches (17) and Luke the most stumpings (6)
- Vikas Goal, Lachlan Edwards and Amith Ninan took the most catches as non-keepers
Juniors Presentation Day – Major Award winners
Congratulations to the major Award winners who were announced at the Juniors Presentation Day (Saturday 19th March 2022):
- Junior Player of the Year (John Coulthard Trophy) – Rudhra Iyer
- Charles Booth Memorial Award (U13) – Finlay Hitchcock
- Ross Anderson Trophy (Outstanding U11 to U13) – Mitchell Ryle
- U8 to U11 Volunteer of the Year – Jo Wilson
- U12 to U16 Volunteer of the Year – Muditha Dissanayake
- Player of the Year (Lisa Sthalekar Trophy) – Olivia McKeon
- Junior Player of the Year (Tina MacPherson Award) – Maya Singh-Grewel
- Volunteer of the Year Award – Kirsty Newbury
Congratulations to our Premier’s & Runners-up
Grand Finals were played on Sunday (13/03). Results are:
- Blue 27 lost to Hornsby Green 2/28 – Runners up
- Blue 144 lost to Oakhill College 9/175 – Runners up
- Blue 3/170 defeated Hornsby Green 8/26 – Premiers
A special callout to those 5 x Teams that missed out due to all Semi-Finals being abandoned:
- U16/17 – Red & Gold sides
- U15 – Blue & Red
- U12 – White.
Final standings of our Teams are:
- U16/17s – Blue (2nd); Red (3rd); Gold (4th); Orange (5th)
- U15s – Blue (3rd ); Red (4th); White (5th )
- U14s – Blue (1st ); Green (=7th); Orange (12th)
- U13s – Blue (1st); Red (7th); Gold (8th); Orange (10th); Green (=13th)
- U12s – White (=2nd); Purple (=6th); Gold (=4th); Red (=8th); Green (11th); Blue (17th)
- U11s & U10s – no competition points
- MasterBlasters – no competition points
Final Standings are:
- Stage 1 – 7th
- Stage 2 (13 to 17 years) – Haynes (6th); Gardner (10th); McPherson (11th)
- Stage 3 (U17) – 7th
Major Award winners
Refer to Presentation details above.
Channel 10 – The Project story
Check out the News report during the week on Channel’s 10 ‘The Project’ –here from about 1:43 secs.