News – 26 September 2020
Sydney Sixers Girls Only Holiday Program
The CovidSafe holiday program has been developed by the Sydney Sixers in partnership with the HK&HDCA Coaches Association specifically for girls aged 5-12, with the aim of giving them a taste of Cricket mixed with fun activities such as dance competitions and much, much more.
All girls aged 5-12 are welcome with no experience required, so if you’ve ever thought about giving cricket a go this is the perfect opportunity!
- Date: Tuesday 29th September, 2020
- Times: 9am – 3pm
- Where: Auluba Oval, South Turramurra
- Ages: 5-12
- Price: $50
Registration – go to: here and search ‘Cricket for females near Turramurra’ and choose ‘Sydney Sixers Holiday Program – Hornsby’
Registrations are OPEN
Registrations for the 2020/21 season are open and can be accessed via the following link – here
We are now just 27 days (Sunday 27/09) away from the first game or put another way, 3 more training sessions! To make sure you get into a Team and also one with your friends don’t leave it too late. In Juniors especially, once Team numbers are full, Rego’s are closed so….don’t miss out by delaying.
Active Kids Voucher
Active Kids Vouchers for $100 are available, through the registration process, for every registration under 18 years of age.
We have just clocked over our 351st Registration that is using the Active Kids Voucher. This means that West Penno families have saved $35,100 in Rego fees so far. So….make sure you register asap to make sure you get to play with your mates and let’s tip this saving up over $50,000.
WPHC Academy – registrations are now being taken
Our Academy has established a reputation for excellence with many of the best Coaches in Sydney involved. The Academy provides specialist coaching over 10 weeks and the testimonials are consistently acknowledge excellence. We are the only Club in the Association and one of the few in Sydney that offers its own Academy.
We start on Monday 12th October – 2 weeks before the season to give our players a head start. The Academy runs weekly until 4th December. We have a break over Christmas /New Year. The final 2 sessions are on the 1st & 8th February 2021.
Our Coaches are among the best around: Premier 1st Grade players, Women’s BBL and our own Level 2 and Level 1 Coaches.
The cost is just $225 for 10 weeks. That is $22.50 / 90 minute session. This is ridiculously cheap and compares to similar privately run Academies that change between $800+ for a lesser quality product.
- Start date – Monday 12th October
- Ages: Boys & Girls – U11 to U17s
How do I find out more?
Check out website link that has all the details – here under Coaching.
Want more information then contact:
Association Coaches Association
The Association Coaches Association is a not for profit organisation with a reputation for coaching Excellence that we recommend.
Clinics are being held in September / October 2020 at Mark Taylor Oval, Waitara – see flyer – bit.ly/CA-flyer-Oct-20
- Who can go – boys and girls aged from 6 – 14 years and they cater for all standards from beginners to representative level players.
- Wednesday 30th September & Thursday 1st October
- Tuesday 6th & Wednesday 7th October
- Time –a 8.30 am to 2.00 pm
- Cost – $120 / clinic or $170 for two Clinics
- Registration – here
We recommend these Clinics that have been since 2010/11 and have established a reputation for Excellence at a low cost.
Level 1 (Community Coaching) Accreditation
We are again running a free Community Coaching (Level 1) coaching accreditation program for WPHC folk. There are only 3 Levels of Accreditation: Level 1 (Community), Level 2 & Level 3. We have a session at Edward Bennett Oval and WPHC folk will get first go at this sort after accreditation before it opens to the general public. Details are:
- When: Sunday 18th October 2020
- Where: Edward Bennett Oval
- Time: 9.00 am to 1.00 pm
- Cost: $Nil
Who should attend?
All Coaches are encouraged to enrol. You will get a formal Coaching accreditation and learn the skills and techniques to make Training sessions interesting and bring your players to the next level.
How do I register?
- Register for a CA coach ID number on the website here (register button is on the right hand side of the screen)
- Complete the necessary steps.
- When finished, copy the ‘CA Coach ID number’ from the confirmation email you receive (you will need it to complete Q5 in the registration form below).
- Click on the link to complete the registration form: here
Women & Girls Cricket
Our Women – Achievements
Congratulations to Lisa Sthalekar our latest high achieving woman. Lisa has been Inducted into the ICC Hall of Fame – more on Lisa below. This is yet another achievement in a long list of Club achievements. It is worth a moment to reflect on what a great Club we are all part of:
- NSW Community Cricket Club of the Year (2nd time in 3 years);
- Community Cricket Club of the Year (Australia) 2018/19 – Runner-up;
- Young Community Leader of the Year (Australia) 2020 – Winner
- SportsNSW Distinguished Long Service Award 2019
Regarding our Women who continue to star:
- Lisa Sthalakar (U10s to U16s) – ICC Hall of Fame (2020); MCC Honorary Life Member (2015); 4 x Winner of the Belinda Clarke Medal – here
- Danielle Chivers (Girls U17 plus Head Coach – Junior Blasters) – Australian Young Community Leader of the Year 2020 (winner)
- Lauren Kua (Girls U17) – U18 Australian U18 Women’s squad (2019/20)
- Denise Annetts (Team Coach 2010 to 2016 & Association Patron) – Hall of Fame, MCC (Lords) Honorary Life Membership, Melbourne Cricket Club Honorary Life Member; SCG Honorary Life Membership.
Master Blaster – Girls Only (aged 7 to 10 years)
After the great success last season the Girls Only Master Blaster program is on again this season. Games are run in local Hubs (our hub is Thornleigh Oval) with Girls from: West Penno / Cherrybrook, Normanhurst/ Warrawee, Beecroft, Pennant Hills, Thornleigh & Castle Hill.
- Friday’s from 30th October to 11th December
- Restarting 29th January to 12th March
- Time: 6.00 pm to 7.30 pm
- Where: Thornleigh Oval
- Cost: $100 for the pre-Christmas season and $150 for the full season
Girls Sixers Cricket League
Registrations are open. Details are:
- Start date: Saturday 24th October
- Ages: combined ages 10 to 13 years
- Registration: go to our Rego page wphccc.com.au/player-registrations/
Games use a hard ball. 9 players/team, 18m pitch, 45m boundary – shorter pitch and smaller boundary = more balls in play to be hit and fielded supporting better skill development for all players. 20 overs, approximately 3 hours. Games are played on Saturday afternoons on local fields.
U15s & U17s
- Start date: Saturday 24th October
- Ages: the cut-off date is 31 August. So, to play U15 you need to be 14 years or younger as at 31 August 2020.
- Registration: same as the Girls U13s
- Start date – 24th October to 19th December (9 weeks) then January 30th to 6th March (8 weeks)
- Semi Finals & Grand Finals – 14th to 21st March
The Association has adopted a 100% compliance to CA Junior formats across all age groups. This mainly affects Master Blasters, U9s & U11s. More detail will come on this.
The wearing of a helmet will now be mandatory for all players facing medium / fast bowling; fielding within 7 metres of the bat; wicket keeping up to the stumps.
- Start date – 24th October to 19th December with a 2 week break staring up again on 9th January
- No T20 Competition
- Helmet policy applies
- Semi Finals and Grand Finals – 13th to 28th March
- Season format:
- 4 x 2-day games to start the season
- 1 x 1-day game (19th December)
- 1 x 1-day games to 23rd January finishing with 2 day games until season end (13th March)
From this season, the Association unanimously agreed to implement the helmet approach as a Policy and not part of the Rules. Batters not wearing a helmet will effectively be given Out – Timed Out.
The following info are restrictions that have been set by for all Cricket Clubs across Australia.
It is vital that anyone attending understands individual responsibilities before attending training.
Some other key points are:
- All players, coaches and volunteers must sign in via a digital attendance register that will be established and advised prior to training
- Ideally bring your own cricket ball but if that’s not possible it must stay with you for the session before being placed in a bag after being wiped down
- No throwing the ball back to the bowler, aim to tap it back along the ground as much as possible
- No shining the ball with saliva
- No handshaking, hi fives or hugs
- Physical distancing must be adhered to at all times
- Maximum of 5 people per net at any one time
- Must arrive at training as ready to go as possible e.g.: shoes on etc. Use the mantra ‘Get In, Train, Get Out’
- Everyone must read and understand the ‘return to train’ guidelines – community.cricket.com.au/clubs/covid-19/return-to-training
- All players must have their own equipment – no sharing of gloves, pads or helmets
- Everyone must have their own water bottle
- All players should bring their own sanitiser if possible and wash their hands regularly
- Try to avoid touching your own face
- No one is to attend training if they have any symptoms of COVID-19 or have been in contact with someone who has had COVID-19 in the past 14 days
- No one is to attend training if they have been to Victoria or come into contact with someone from Victoria in the past 14 days
- We strongly recommend that everyone download the COVIDSafe app and have it active throughout all sessions.
Finally, we have our own QR Code that will need to be used by anyone attending a Club Event – training, games, any function with 10 people or more: