News – 1 January 2020
Vale Wally Howard
Wally Howard, Life Member number 8 and older brother of our former PM, John Howard, died on Christmas Eve. Wally played between 1946/47 and 1974/75 in B1 and A2 Grade. He was a slow bowler and took 342 wickets @ 16.6 with a best of 8/17 in 1968/69 and is the 10th most prolific wicket taker in our history.
He was our first Club President when we reformed in 1946 after WW11 and was heavily involved in the setting up of our Juniors after the War Years break in 1946/47 and is one of our ‘Founding Fathers’. He had a second term as President between 1969 to 1971, before the great Jim Fuggle, took over from him. He was also President when our first Perpetual Trophy, the Charles Booth Memorial Trophy was established in 1969.
There is going to be a private service for Wally this week and there is talk about a Memorial Service in a couple of weeks. Once I find out details I will let folks know and will arrange a suitable acknowledgement from our Club.
Christmas / New Year / Festive season break
With the last games of the season coming up, our Club Executive would like to wish everyone involved in our Club a fantastic holiday break. Our Club is in great shape and this is due to our fantastic volunteers, players, parents and supporters.
If you are travelling then be safe and we look forward to have everyone back on deck and playing cricket again in 2020.
All Games off – Saturday 21 December
The Association has advised (Friday 6.14 pm):
“Hornsby Council have closed the majority of their grounds. From their Facebook page:
‘Catastrophic fire conditions are forecast for Hornsby Shire for tomorrow Saturday 21 December and, as a precautionary measure, all Council facilities located within bushfire-prone areas will be closed for the day.’
With the weather forecast for Hills area at 43-44 degrees, combined with the forecast air quality index of very poor to hazardous, the Senior Competition Committee have decided to cancel play.
Please pass onto your Captains and players.
The Association website and Facebook page will be updated shortly.”
This is only the 3rd time in our history that games have been called off with the most recent time occurring on Saturday 11th February 2017. Check out the Anecdotes for a history of fire in our District.
Dates for the calendar
- Christmas / New Year break:
- Juniors – 14th December. Start back 1st February
- Seniors – 21st December. Start back 11th January
- Junior Semi Finals – 8th March 2020
- Junior Grand Finals – 15th March
- Senior Semi Finals – 7th & 14th March
- Senior Grand Final – 21st & 22nd March
School Holiday Coaching Clinics
The renowned HK&HDCA Coaches’ Association has scheduled three more school holiday cricket clinics in January 2020. This program is recommended. It fills quickly so please get in fast.
Led by experienced coaches, Rod Hokin (Cricket Australia – Level 3 Accredited) will provide a fantastic experience for all the junior players. A few details:
- Who can attend – boys and girls aged from 6 – 14 years of standards from beginners to representative level players
- Where & When:
- Mark Taylor Oval, Waitara
- Wednesday 8th & Thursday 9th January 2020
- Wednesday 22nd & Thursday 23rd January
- Normanhurst Oval:
- Mark Taylor Oval, Waitara
- Thursday 16th & Friday 17th January 2020
- Time – 8.30 am to 2.00 pm
- Cost – $120 / Clinic or $170 for 2 clinics. Fees are at cost recovery as the Coaches Association is a not for profit organisation.
- Registration – please refer to the attachment. History tells us though to get in quickly as spaces do fill up.
See flyer – here
Women’s cricket – Social initiative
With the success of Girl’s cricket, CNSW are now running an initiative that for the mums and women who want to get out there and have a bit of fun.
Something else to keep an eye out for in January is our Women’s Social Cricket initiative which will be launched in early January.
The program will be all soft ball on Wednesday nights at Mark Taylor Oval for 6 weeks in Term 1 2020.
It would be great if you could please start sharing this with anyone who is a mother, partner or friend of a current player. We are aiming to provide a fast, friendly and easy option for women (Over 16 yrs old) in our district to stay active and play the game that they have probably watched hundreds of times over the years but never had the chance to play!
If you know of anyone who may be interested please tell them so send me an email at here.
Girls-Only Holiday Fest
Our Coaches Association, in combination with CNSW, are again running the acclaimed Girls Only Holiday program. The day is as much about cricket as it is about music, dancing, crafts and just being around friends.
- When: Monday 13th January 2020
- Where: Normanhurst Oval
- Time: 9.00 am to 3.00 pm
- Ages: 7 to 12 years
- Cost: $35
All girls, aged 7 to 12, are welcome to come along. No playing experience is necessary, so if you have ever thought about giving cricket a go this is the perfect opportunity.
Just to the following link – here
It is that easy.
Girls-only Master Blaster
The Girls-only Master Blaster run at Thornleigh Oval on Friday nights has now gone into recess over Christmas / New Year. This has been a fantastic success with 14 of our Girls combining with Girls from Normanhurst, Thornleigh, Castle Hill to play Twilight games.
We start up again in late January / early February 2020 so keep a lookout on the website for details as they become available.
The Season is now in recess for the Christmas / New Year break. At the break, our Sthalekar Team is tracking at 4 wins & 3 losses. The Annetts Team has a 1/4 (+ a draw) track record.
- WPHC Sthalekar – 3rd (33 points)
- WPHC Annetts – 5th (19 points)
Top performances so far are:
- Halle Newbury – 169 runs @ 56.3
- Charlotte Raeburn – 70 runs @ 23.3
- Sofia Culas99 runs @ 49.5
- Lilly Hayhurst – 73 runs @ 36.5
- Teyana La Brooy – 7 wickets @ 7.6
- Sofia Culas – 6 wickets @ 17.2
- Halle Newbury – 3 wickets @ 26.0
- Charlotte Raeburn – 3 wickets @ 29.7
The Season is also in recess for the Christmas / New Year break. At the break, our Healy Team is tracking at 6 x wins, 1 x loss & 1 x draw. The Perry Team is at 5 x wins and 2 x losses. Top performances are:
- Ellen Hall – 104 runs @ 104.0
- Grace Keane – 91 runs @ 91.0
- Esha Tiwana – 216 runs @ 108.0
- Tuvini – 167 runs @ 83.5
- Elysa Oliveri – 7 wickets @ 13.9
- Danielle Chivers – 6 wickets 13.8
- Divyanshi – 9 wickets @ 12.4
- Amy Hale – 6 wickets @ 10.3
WPHC (Healy) – 1st (45 points)
WPHC (Perry) – 2nd (44 points)
The drought and the fires have caused the cancellation of 2 of our 3 Country Carnivals. The current status with the Carnivals is:
- U14 Tamworth JCU Carnival – cancelled
- U15 Walter Taylor Shield (Armidale) – still on
- U16 Stan Austin Cup (Taree) – cancelled
We are though helping out with the Hunter Valley Cricket Association that wants to play some games to give their kids a chance to play cricket.
Along with the Manly DCA we have been invited to play a T20 and a 50 over a side game on 6th / 8th January or 13th / 15th January 2020.
Our U15/U16s will have a combined side that will help the Hunter Valley boys out. This is a great example of helping out another Association that needs a break from the troubles they are going through.
After the final Round before the break (14 December) highlights follow. Competition starts again on Saturday 1st February 2020.
- 102* – Jordan Netto (U15/16 White) scored his 3rd ton in a row – 102*, 100* and now 102* for 318 runs at no average yet as he hasn’t been out
- 60 by Louis Malandrino (U14 Purple)
- 158* by Jordan Netto 102* and Lachlan Daly (U15/16 White) Vs WPHC Blue @ Greenway Park.
- No Individual bowling highlights.
After the latest Round (10), our Team standings are:
- U15 /U16s – Orange 3rd; Blue 5th; White 8th; Red 11th
- U14s – Red 2nd; Purple 3rd; Orange 7th ; Blue 8th ; Green 9th
- U13s – Green =7th (7th); Red =7th (8th); Blue; 10th; White 11th
- U12s – Blue =3rd (4th); Green 6th; Orange 15th; Gold 17th; Red 19th.
- U11s – Blue 2nd; Orange =6th (6th); Gold =8th (8th); Red 14th; Green 15th
- U8s to U10s – no competition points allocated.
Seniors (All Age)
Round 8 highlights:
- 120 by Vinod Kumar (C2) – our 392nd Clun Century
- Andrew Morris (A2) brought up his 2,000 runs in his 49th innings at the impressive career average of 47.71
- James Makin 80 and Phil Wurth 64 (A1) in an impressive partnership.
Personal Achievements / Milestones
The Home page of the website has an update of personal Milestones – who has an approaching milestone and who achieved one. The system is now working and each week we will have the latest updates on performances.
Match Reports of every game are on the Match Report section of the website.
Seniors Train at the WPH Sports Club nets on Wednesday and Fridays between 5.00 pm and dusk.
After 8 Rounds, Team standings are:
- A1 – 6th
- Red (Andy) – 2nd
- Blue (Gunny) – 1st
- B1 – 5th
- B2 – =3rd (3rd on quotient)
- Red (Phill) –= 1st
- Blue (Fieds) – 8th
- C2 – 5th
- C3 – 1st
- Red (Diggers) – 4th
- Blue (Rob) – 7th
- D2 – – 2nd