News – 22 September 2019
Girls cricket opportunities
Girls Only Master Blasters (7 to 10 years of age)
On Friday 11th October a Girls-only Cricket Blast Program starts at Thornleigh Oval.
For Girls interested in playing cricket, having fun, being with friends, dancing and playing some more cricket to music we are joining with Girls from Thornleigh, Castle Hill, Kenthurst, Galston-Glenorie, Normanhurst, Pennant Hills and Beecroft to play at the one ground – Thornleigh Oval.
So if you have a daughter, sister, grand-daughter or have a neighbour who hits a ball around at a Park or in the backyard then please let them know about this great initiative.
Some brief details:
- When does this start – Friday 11th October and ends 29th November (8 weeks)
- Where are the games played – Thornleigh Oval
- What time – 6.00 pm to 7.30 pm
- What is the cost – $100
- What do the Girls wear – we will have special coloured shirts for the girls plus they get a Big Bash League hat of their preference.
How do I register?
Register via our website Registration page or contact Suzanna or Grant Colburt at here or by phone: Grant: 0413 594 077 / Suzanna: 0413 594 082.
Girls-Only School Holiday Program
These school holidays, the Sydney Sixers are teaming up with the HK&HDCA Coaches Association to offer a Girls-Only School Holiday Program with the aim of getting some new participants for our Girls-Only Master Blaster Hubs. We want to give local girls an opportunity to come and try cricket so the program has been designed with that in mind. There will be dancing, art and much more. Details of this program are:
- When: Thursday 10th October, 9am-3pm
- Where: Mark Taylor Oval, Waitara
- Cost: $20
- Ages: 7-12
- Registration is at here
Junior Blasters (aged 5 to 7 years)
Girls and Boys play every Saturday starting on 12 October at Edward Bennett Oval. Registrations are open throughout the season but it is wise to register soon so that friends can play together in the same team.
Girls aged 8 to 16
We have 4 Teams this season who play T20s on Saturday afternoons:
- U13s (x 2 Teams)
We start on Saturday 12th October so there is still time to register but the sooner you register, it helps us to plan and get things like training schedules organised.
Level 1 Coaching Accreditation
We are again running a Cricket Australia accredited Level 1 Coaching Course in our own backyard. The course is run by Level 2 accredited CNSW Coaches.
This Program is open to the Public and will fill quickly. So if you are interested then please register quickly to avoid missing out.
If you are coaching a side and would like to get the formal qualifications plus learn new skills and drills then this is a must do course. Details are:
- When: Sunday, 29th September
- Where: Edward Bennett Oval
- Time: 00 am to 1.00 pm
- Cost: $Nil
How do I register?
The Registration system will be open on Thursday (19/9) and will included in this news update so stay tuned for more information.
Season is underway
Junior Blasters (formerly known as Kanga)
Registrations remain open and we encourage you to register as soon as possible to play in the same Team as your mates. Key dates are:
- Information Night (Parents) – Tuesday 24 September 2019
- Program starts – Saturday 12th October @ Edward Bennett Oval
Started on Saturday 14th September. Highlights of the Round will be updated on the website once all the scores are updated on MyCricket.
Day 2 highlights are:
- 72 runs by Sid Ramachandran (U14 Orange) Vs Kissing Point
- 55 runs by Rigved Sodal (U14 Green) Vs CHRSL
- 53 runs by Shaan Bakshi (U15/U16 Blue) Vs Normanhurst-Warrawee
- 4/3 by Jacob Perera (U13 Blue) Vs Beecroft
- 3/2 by Angus Aoutal (U12 Blue) Vs WPHC White
- 3/17 by Meet Vyas (U15/U16 Blue) Vs Normanhurst-Warrawee
Seniors (All Age)
The T20s are now finished and the standard Competition starts next weekend – 28th September. Match Report section of the website reports on each game.
The Association has announced the Grades for the season and as expected a number of our Teams have been moved up from the nominated Grade. Congratulations to our Captains for the main season:
- A1 Grade – Justin Paterson (23rd A1 Captain)
- Red – Andy Meikle
- Blue – Michael Gunn
- B1 – Rick Turner
- B2 – Rob Knapman
- Red – Phill Hando
- Blue – Stuart Fiedler
- C2 – Indranil Mukherjee
- C3 – Steve (Buzz) Burrows
- Red – Ian Digby
- Blue – Rob Hanich
- D2 – Captain Mike
Seniors Train at the WPH Sports Club nets on Wednesday and Fridays between 5.00 pm and dusk. Training starts when Daylight Savings comes in.
The Home page of the website has an update of personal Milestones – who has an approaching milestone and who achieved one. The system is about to be enhanced to update performances after every game. As a short term solution the Match Report section of the website has all this info.
Association School Holidays Clinic
The highly acclaimed Coaching Clinics run by the Association Coaches’ Association (led by Bruce Wood) are on again in the October School Holidays. The Coaches’ Association has now run 50 successful Clinics. They are highly recommended by our Club.
The Coaches’ Association are running 2 Clinics at Mark Taylor Oval (Waitara) and George Thornton Reserve.
Who can participate?
These clinics are designed for boys and girls aged from 6 – 14 years and they cater for all standards from beginners to representative level players.
- Where – Mark Taylor Oval (Waitara)
- When – Wednesday 2nd October & Thursday 3rd October
- Time – 8.30 am to 2.00 pm
- George Thornton Reserve (WPH)
- When – Tuesday 8th October & Thursday 9th October
- Time – 8.30 am to 2.00 pm
- $120 / Clinic or $170 for 2 clinics
See flyer – here
For the Diary
The Academy will again be operating this season. This has been very popular over the last couple of years and we will again be working with elite 1st Grade and First Class cricketers to provide specialist coaching.
We will also be running again the Skills Clinics for our Junior Boys and Girls throughout the season. These Clinics are free and run throughout the season where our Juniors get high quality coaching that is an add-on to the normal Team based coaching.
One of the privileges of playing for West Penno is that we are the only Club side in NSW that is invited to participate in Country Carnivals during the New Year period in early January. These are very popular and we see long term friendship develop between players and parents afer what is a wonderful week away in our Country areas. The Carnivals are:
- U14s – Tamworth JCU Carnival
- U15s – Walter Taylor Shield (Armidale)
- U16 Stan Austin Cup (Taree)
Sydney Sixers membership
Included in the Registration form is an option to become Sydney Sixers Members. This is your choice to accept or decline to opportunity. It is though worth noting the benefits of Membership:
- Discounts of $5 for single membership and $15 for families
- Club priority for donation requests (Please note we are expecting an increase in Club Partners this season, so we highly recommend registering if you think that you may need any donations to ensure that you don’t miss out)
- W/BBL team signed bat.
- Entry to 3 matches (including Sydney Smash).
- Blast Squad on-field opportunity during home games.
So if you would like to signup it is as easy as doing so when you register.
One to look out for is a Special General Meeting to consider a new Constitution to replace the Model Form we have had since the early 1980s.
Since our Cub became an incorporated body all those years ago, we adopted the Model Constitution under the Act which with our growth/development since has now become somewhat irrelevant to our needs.
A revised, updated document has now been prepared and has been approved by the Executive Committee. For this to be adopted, the law requires it to be presented and approved at a special general meeting of members for which they have been given 21 day’s notice.
All members, who attend the meeting, may vote provided they are financial and over 18 years of age. The formal notice, showing venue, time, date and attaching the new constitution document, will be sent to you in the coming weeks.
Please understand that the only business allowed at that meeting will be a motion to adopt the new constitution as submitted.
More information will follow on this so stay tuned.