Anecdotes – 21 January 2018
Our B2 Red side is sitting at 1st place in the Comp and has done it on the back of some outstanding performances. How about this snapshot of high achievement:
- Brent Larkham (580 runs) brought up his 1,000 runs last week to be the youngest player in our history to achieve this milestone
- Andrew Morris (532 runs) – fastest to achieve the 1,000 run milestone
- Eric Junkkari – brought up his 5,000 career runs earlier this season
- Top wicket takers for the Grade:
- Robbie Knapman – top B2 Association wicket-taker with 26
- Aaron Hawkins is number 2 on the Association list with 17 wickets
- Top run scorers:
- Brent and Andrew are number 1 and 2 in the Association top scorers.
Welcome to Josh Banner (A2 and pictured) on joining this exclusive club last weekend at Caterson Oval. The day started with Josh forgetting his whites and then doing his best driving at about 60 kms over the speed limit to get home and back before the game. Josh was successful and made it to the game before the start and without a speeding fine.
Brothers in Arms
So far we have identified the 3 x Fathers and Sons who have played A1 in our history and the 7 x Brothers who have played A1 with the latest being Riley and Bailey Miedler– a rare and special achievement.
On Saturday we had another piece of History when Daniel and John Anderson both played 1st Grade for Northern District Grade Club in the NSW Premier Competition – pictured here on Saturday with John Coulthard at Coogee Oval. In the 93 years since Northern District was established there have been just 2 other brothers play together in 1st Grade:
- Adam and Dean Gilchrist
- Daniel and Michael Friedrich.
What makes this special is that the Friedrich and Anderson brothers all played for West Penno and all 4 won the prestigious John Coulthard (Junior Player of the Year) Award:
- Daniel Friedrich (1997/98)
- Michael Friedrich (1999/2000)
- Daniel A (2010/11)
- John (2013/14).
Talking about late finishes. The C3 game against Berowra. Starting at noon the 40 over side didn’t finish until well after 7.00 pm with a win to our boys on the last ball chasing down 239 to get an important win. So 7+ hours for a 1-dayer must be pushing some sort of record.
Keeping it in the family
How about our mighty D2’s on the weekend. Mike Kinchington (pictured) and his nephew Ben, put on an opening stand of 124 on the weekend on a stinker of a day. D2 is one of the few Grades we don’t have detailed records of opening partnerships for but this effort would be up there. To cap it off, Mike came out and took 3/35 in a close fought game against Castle Hill RSL in a game that now gives us a great chance to take a top 4 spot.