Anecdotes – Semi Finals, Day 1
Hat-tricks are rare. In our long history there have only been 46. To get 2 is even rarer with only 4 players getting 2 or better. Dean Carlin (C3) went one better. In the Semi Final defending a modest 146 he opened the bowling and took a hat-trick in the first over – all wickets bowled. What is remarkable about this hat-trick:
- This is just the 2nd time a Hat-trick has been taken in a semi final
- It is the 2nd time a hat-trick has been taken in the 1st over of an innings – the first is by Riley Miedler (A2 Vs Castle Hill 15/10/2011) when Riley took 5/9
- Dean’s 2nd in Seniors and 3rd when Juniors are included
- The first wicket in the hat-trick was Dean’s 100th career wicket
- An even more amazing coincidence is that Dean brought up his 50th wicket last season with his first hat-trick.
The Steve Waugh moment
Phil Wurth (A1) had one of those great insights expected from one of our Premier batsmen. In the Semi Final, with the boys recovering after being 5/75 were 5/101 when Riley Miedler, on 9 runs, was dropped in a what should have been a regulation catch at mid-wicket. At that moment, Phil commented that “He just dropped the match”. Riley went on to make 46 and give us a total (226), that has put us in a dominant position.
In our U13s Girls game against Mosman on the weekend our Girls got the handy score of 85 in their 20 overs – helped along by a massive 65 sundries – 57 no balls, 7 wides and 1 bye. Not to be outdone, our Girls contributed 56 runs in sundries – 40 no balls, 14 wides and 2 byes.
Premiership milestones – what may be
This season our Seniors have 8 Teams in the Semi Finals. Our record for Premiership wins in a season is 4 – achieved in both 2012/13 and also 2014/15.
Some interesting insights follow:
- The common denominator in this sequence of wins was A1 (James Makin) and SPL (Simon Smyth) who both Captained their winning sides
- Andrew Fiedler – if C1 win this will be the first back to back C1 winning side in our history going back to our first Premiership win in 1951/52
- Simon Smyth – if he can get A2 across the line will be only our 2nd A2 Captain to win 2 Premierships – Jobbo being the first
- 5 wins would also be an Association record.
Good luck boys for your chance to be part of our history.
Club Champions 2016/17
Our Seniors have won their first Club Championship since 2008/09. It has been tough as the rules have been regularly changed to even the playing field that has tended to disadvantage larger Clubs – last year we missed out by 1/1000th of a point! To quote Barry McDonald:
“The doctrine of inevitability has shone on those who believe in fate and destiny – I think they call it Karma! Well done to all our players throughout all grades who obviously contributed to this result.
In contemplating the different factors between last year and this year, a few things come immediately to mind:
- We have a new Senior Director in Steve Quanborough who in his first year has achieved the near impossible
- As Chairperson and ex-President, I have purposely taken a large step back from the day to day operations of the Club this past year
- Perhaps Normanhurst, who just pipped us out last year, had a bad year.
I will let you all decide which of those three events has been the most distinguishing factor in our success!!!!”