News – 17 December to 30 December
The 3 photo’s on the Homesite Banner are:
- Photo 1 – U11 Green with Santa – Commenarra Sports Ground – 16 December 2017
- Photo 2 – U16 Blue and U16 Gold Teams – Greenway Park, 2nd December 2017
- Photo 3 – U16 Blue and Gold mum’s in the ‘Ladies Pavilion’ at Greenway Park, 2 December 2017.
Christmas / New Year break
This is the last Round before we break for Christmas / New Year. On behalf of our Club Executive and everyone in our great Club have a great and well deserved break, drive safely if you are going away and look forward to the 2nd half of the season. The season starts up again as follows:
- Seniors – Saturday 6th January 2018
- In2Cricket (Kanga) – starts up again on Saturday 27 January 2018
- Junior Girls – Saturday 27 January
- Junior Boys – Saturday 27 Jamuary
School Holidays Coaching Clinics
Registrations are now open for the Association Coaches’ Association / Northern District CC’s Junior cricket coaching clinics for boys & girls aged 6 – 15 during the Christmas school holidays.
The Coaches’ Association is a not-for-profit organisation and has scheduled 4 junior clinics between 8 – 18 January 2018.
The venues are: Mark Taylor Oval, Waitara and George Thornton Reserve, WPH (2 clinics at each location).
These popular school holiday clinics have been in operation since 2010 and have a proven track-record in developing the skills of players of all standards, ranging from beginners and club players to experienced representative cricketers. The online registration process is easy – see the attached flyer, which can also be accessed via this link – here
We thoroughly recommend these Clinics and it would be great to see good support from our Club – especially at George Thornton Reserve in our own backyard.
Batting for Change
Ryan Carters, former NSW and Sixers cricketer and founder of the charity Batting for Change has invited everyone from our Club to come along to the Official Pre-Match Party he is hosting when the Sixers and Thunder next clash on January 13th at the SCG.
Tickets are normally $120 for adults, but for West Penno members and family/friends we can be part of this great initiative for just $70 for adults, and $60 for children. This includes food, drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), live music, games, a Batting for Change t-shirt, and entry to the Big Bash match and all for a good cause. Tickets are available at this link – here.
Batting for Change aims to raise over $100,000, which would be enough to support the education of 300 young women living in poverty in India and Sri Lanka. If anyone cannot attend but would like to support the cause, any small or large donation would be gratefully accepted, at here.
“Bistro WPH” Photo of the Month – November winner
Congratulations to Graham Chivers who has won our Photo of the Month (the photo is above) for his photo of the Girls U15 Peden Shield game. Graham will get a $50 dinner voucher at the fabulous Bistro WPH – here
Photos are always welcome. To enter it is simple:
- Just take a photo of anything to do with our Club – Kanga, Girls, Boys and Seniors
- The photo can be of our players batting, bowling or fielding
- Also, we are keen to get any ‘quirky’ photos that are a bit of fun.
For our January Photo, just take a photo and send it to Ross Anderson (here ) with some brief commentary and it is that easy.
Pink Stumps day
One for the diaries. Our Annual Pink Stumps Day, run by our U9s, is fast approaching:
- When: Saturday 10 March 2018
- Time: 9.00 am to 1.00 pm
- Where: Edward Bennett Oval (to be confirmed)
The day is a Fund-raiser double-header played between our U9s. Activities are:
- Four games of 10 : 10 overs each (can reduce to 8 overs each if necessary) – Teams will play against each other and the kids are expected to be in their cricket whites;
- Pink caps, sausage sizzle and a can of soft drink to be sold to each member of the team at $12.50 each
- Sale of cup cakes, brownies etc to be sold at $2.00 per piece;
- Pink collection boxes to be placed for donations on the day.
More details are to follow.
Grand Finals – Spring Season
Congratulations to our Grand Finalists:
The U15s played off for 5th / 6th position in their Comp.
Summer Competition Registrations
The Spring season is now over. The Summer Season for the T20 Blast and Sixers Competitions starts-up again at the end of January and runs until mid-March.
Full details of how to Register will be provided early in the New Year so continue to watch the website for details.
WPHC 4/63 drew with Parramatta – match Report to follow but wet weather caused a draw in this game. With Parramatta finishing higher in the Comp we came Runner-up for the Spring Comp.
U15 Spring Comp
WPHC 2/106 drew with Mercy Catholic College – another rain affected Final and with Mercy taking out the Minor Premiership the Girls finished as Runner-up. This was a disappointing outcome to a match that we had pretty much in control of.
17 Spring Comp
WPHC Vs Castle Hill Thunder 3/95 – a shame the game was washed out as we had a real show after dismissing the powerful top order of Castle Hill.
Our Juniors played Day 2 of Round 7 on Saturday – the last Round before the Christmas / New Year break. Highlights from Day 2 are:
Our top batting performances were:
- Shaan Bakshi 76* – U14 White Vs Hornsby
- 4/259 (U11 Orange Vs WPHC Blue) – highest Team total of the Round
- Rigved Sodal (58*) & Tejas Bharadwaj (11) put on 128 for our U12 Greens Vs Redfield.
- Kai Carney (4/4) – U12 Purple Vs Hornsby
- Josh Strefner (4/5) – U12 Red Vs Mt Colah
After 7 Rounds the standings are below:
- U16s – 2nd (Blue), 4th (White), = 4th (Gold)
- U15s – 4th (Blue), 7th (White)
- U14s – 3rd (White), 5th (Blue)
- U13s – 4th (Red), =4th (Orange), 15th (White)
- U12s – 4th (Purple), 6th (Red), 7th (Blue), 10th (Green), 16th (Orange)
- U11s – 1st (White), 2nd (Green), 3rd (Orange), 6th (Red), =6th (Gold), 12th (Blue)
- U10s; U9s & U8s – non competition.
Our Skills training sessions are now in recess and starts up again on 5 February 2018.
These are free sessions with our talented high performance Coaches providing high quality skills based training.
The schedule is:
- When: Monday afternoons
- Where: Cherrybrook Public School
- Time: 5.00 pm to 6.30 pm
- 5 February 2017 – U9s
- 12 February – U8s
- 19 February – U10s
- 26 February – U9s
- 5 March – U8s
Your Team Manager will be in touch with you about the next steps. Our Facebook page will also post the roster and lock in the numbers for each Team.
Round 8, Highlights
Best performances from the Round 8, 1-Dayer came from:
- Andy Meikle (A1) scored his 1,000th career runs
- Andrew Morris (B2) scored 94 in the 1-dayer against our Blue side
- Michael Robertson (A2) scored 84 Vs our Blues.
Match Reports have been updated and can be seen on the Match Reports section of the website.
Personal Milestone achievements
The list of Current season high achievers and Personal Milestones has been updated on the website. It lists:
- Season top run scorers & wicket takers
- Personal Milestone achievements.
Have a browse to see who has a major approaching Milestone.
Champion player points standings as at the end of Round 8 are:
- Dylan Bish (D1) – 134.1
- Brent Larkham (B2) – 110.0
- Andrew Morris (B2) – 105.0
- Ben Kinchington (D2) – 70.0
- John Rose (D2) – 69.2
- Nick Bennett (A2) – 63.1
- Indranil Mukherjee (C3) – 61.6
- Zac Turner (B2) – 59.8
- Ray Khamis (B2) – 56.9