News – 21 January to 27 January 2018
The season starts up again as follows:
- Saturday 27 January 2018:
- Junior Girls – Saturday 27 January
- Junior Boys – Saturday 27 January.
- Saturday 3rd February – In2Cricket / Kanga starts.
Girls Summer Comp Registrations
After a successful Spring Comp, on 27 January, the Girls start their T20 Summer Competition. Matches start at 2.00 pm and go for about 2 ¾ hours.
If you are interested in playing then please contact Graham Chivers on 0415 891 004 or here for more information.
In2Cricket / Kanga Registrations
Starts up again on Saturday 3 February and runs until Saturday 3 March for the short summer season. Registrations are always welcome and it you have any queries please contact Bill Peterkin on 0488 110 942 or here
The Academy starts up again shortly after the School holidays break for the final 7-week run before concluding on 14 March 2018. Details are:
- Girls – Monday 29 January 2018
- Boys – Wednesday 31 January
- Where: Greenway Park
- U12 to U13 – 4.30 pm to 5.30 pm
- U14 to U16 – 5.30 to 6.30 pm
- Seniors – 6.30 to 7.30 pm.
Kingsgrove Sports Discount offer
Our good Supporters, Kingsgrove Sports are now offering great discounts on a wide range of cricket products, including:
- Up to 50% off Puma
- 30% off 2017/2018 New Balance
- 30% off 2017/2018 Gray-Nicolls
- 30% off 2017/2018 Kookaburra
- 30% off 2017/2018 GM
- Up to 30% off Asics Replica ODI Home & Replica Training Apparel
- 30% of many other cricket related items
These discounts are available while stocks last and / or until 31 Jan 2018.
These can be purchased either on-line or In-store at the Parramatta Westside store – 570 Church Street North Parramatta.
Association Golf Day
The 6th Annual HK&HDCA Golf Championship will be held at the superb Kooindah Waters Course just outside Wyong – just 50 minutes up the M1.
- Day: Friday 2nd March 2018
- Time: 8.15 am for a 9.00 pm kick-off
The event is a Four Ball Ambrose – teams of four players, with each player hitting off at each tee, then the best shot of the four is selected and the four players then play their next shot from that spot.
Just $70.00 per player for 18 holes of golf in carts, a pre-game Breakfast of a Bacon & Egg Roll.
If you do not have a Golf Club Handicap, the Tournament Director will provide you with a generous handicap.
Contact Scott Burrows to here as soon as possible to enter or call him on 0405 546 488 if you have any questions.
Pink Stumps day
Our Annual Pink Stumps Day, run by the U9s, is fast approaching:
- When: Saturday 10 March 2018
- Time: 9.00 am to 1.00 pm
- Where: Edward Bennett Oval (to be confirmed)
The day is a Fund-raiser double-header played between our U9s. Activities are:
- Four games of 10 : 10 overs each (can reduce to 8 overs each if necessary) – Teams will play against each other and the kids are expected to be in their cricket whites;
- Pink caps, sausage sizzle and a can of soft drink to be sold to each member of the team at $12.50 each
- Sale of cup cakes, brownies etc to be sold at $2.00 per piece;
- Pink collection boxes to be placed for donations on the day.
More details are to follow.
Phillip Hughes Medal winners
Congratulations to the following players who won the prestigious Phillip Hughes Medal from the recently completed Association Coaches Association Clinics:
- Harry Flower (U12 Green)
- Kieran Jackson (U14 Blue)
The award is given to the most outstanding player at the Clinics.
Our Photo Gallery has photos of Harry and Kieran receiving their Awards in the miscellaneous section.
Three of our Age Groups are privileged play in the Country Carnivals played during early January 2018. We are the only Club side in NSW to be given this opportunity to play in these Carnivals:
- U14s – Tamworth JCA (8th to 12 January 2018)
- U15s – Armidale (Walter Taylor Shield) – 2nd to 5th January
- U16s – Stan Austin Shield (Taree) – 8th to 11th January.
U14s Tamworth JCA Carnival
We played against Teams from: Tamworth; Barbarians; Manly, Armidale and Nambucca / Bellingen. Match results were:
We took a team of five Under 13’s, five Under 14’s plus two of our girls to Tamworth this season so a very inexperienced team relative to the other teams made up entirely of Rep players. We arrived on the Sunday in 42C heat and it stayed that way for the matches on Monday and Tuesday, before finally cooling to mid 30’s for the rest of the week.
We struggled against a very strong Manly team who eventually ran out winners on our first outing. A good win against the Barbarians on the Tuesday afternoon lift spirits on the pitch.
Against a formidable Tamworth team we were in deep trouble at 4 down for 14 but a magnificent partnership between Amar Gill and James Stuart-Gray gave us something to bowl at and we then shook Tamworth with a wicket with the first ball of their innings. We took a second wicket early but could not get another couple which would have made the game very interesting but a fantastic performance none the less.
Our playoff match was again against the Barbarians on a very slow outfield which went to the last ball and we scrapped home to give us 2 wins out of 6.
An excellent tour and all the kids played a part both on and off the pitch.
U16s Stan Austin Carnival (Taree)
Teams in the Carnival are: Penrith; Mid North Coast; Far North Coast; Tamworth; Roseville, Manly; Hunter Valley.
At a glance:
- We finished 4th after coming 7th in Tamworth (U14s) and 6th in Armidale (U15s)
- Our Boys won the Spirit of Cricket Award
- Zac Morris won the Batsman of the Carnival with 125 runs at 31.25.
A great effort boys.
Detailed results are summarised:
WPHC 7/191 defeated Roseville 116 – a big win by the boys with Dylan Bish top scoring with 64*. Good performances also from Zac Morris (26) and Nick Sparkes (22). In the bowling, wickets were well spread with Areeb Rashid the best with 3/27. Good performances also by Dylan Bish (2/7), Ed Corby (2/14), Xander Vink (1/2), Alex Silnis (1/12).
WPHC 70 lost to Hunter Valley 168 – winning the toss and bowling first at Johnny Martin Oval we kept Valley to a gettable target of 168 in 46 overs. Ed Corby was our most successful bowler with 3/16 (5 overs) with Alex Silnis taking 2/22. One wicket was taken by each of: Tom Dickinson, Dylan Bish, Nick Sparkes and Connor Hindmarsh. In the batting we struggled on the slow outfield and got to 70 in 42 overs with Riley Paton top scoring with 21.
NBN News had some coverage of the game on the following link –
WPHC 124 tied with Manly 124 – a great game that puts us in the top 4. Batting first we got a competitive but below par score in 41 overs. Zac Morris was outstanding to top score with 48. We had to bowl and field well and we did. Alex Silins with 3/12 (10 overs) was superb, Tom Dickinson with 2/23 was also dominant. Other bowlers to take wickets were: Connor Hindmarsh 1/16, Areeb Rashid 1/22 and Ed Corby 2/25. We bowled Manly out in 44 overs to share the points in an exciting game.
Playoff for 3rd 4th
WPHC 82 lost to Tamworth 2/82 – a 40 over game against 3rd place Tamworth was always going to be difficult. We won the toss and batted, but never got going with wickets falling at regular intervals. Zac Morris backed up his 48 from round 3 with a top score of 50 – 70% of the Team total.
Tamworth lost 2 wickets in the chase with Areeb Rashid the best of the bowlers with 1/11 off 5 and Ed Corby 1/11 off 3. Xander Vink took a great catch at mid off.
After finishing 7th in Tamworth and 6th in Armidale, our 4th position at Taree was an excellent result for a Club team.
In addition our Club was presented with the most converted “Spirit of Cricket Award” living up to our reputation as the most friendly, entertaining and appreciative Team going around.
U15s Walter Taylor Shield (Armidale)
We played Teams from: Armidale (1st and 2nd X1), Ballina, Tamworth, Lismore, Penrith and Hunter Valley. Included in this was a Day / Night game under lights.
We ended up playing 4 games – losing 3 to Rep sides and getting a Tie in the final game.
Saturday Competition Points table
At the break, after 7 Rounds, the standings are below:
- U16s – 2nd (Blue), 4th (White), = 4th (Gold)
- U15s – 4th (Blue), 7th (White)
- U14s – 3rd (White), 5th (Blue)
- U13s – 4th (Red), =4th (Orange), 15th (White)
- U12s – 4th (Purple), 6th (Red), 7th (Blue), 10th (Green), 16th (Orange)
- U11s – 1st (White), 2nd (Green), 3rd (Orange), 6th (Red), =6th (Gold), 12th (Blue)
- U10s; U9s & U8s – non competition.
Our Skills training sessions are now in recess and starts up again on 5 February 2018.
These are free sessions with our talented high performance Coaches providing high quality skills based training.
The schedule is:
- When: Monday afternoons
- Where: Cherrybrook Public School
- Time: 5.00 pm to 6.30 pm
- 5 February 2017 – U9s
- 12 February – U8s
- 19 February – U10s
- 26 February – U9s
- 5 March – U8s
Your Team Manager will be in touch with you about the next steps. Our Facebook page will also post the roster and lock in the numbers for each Team.
Grand Finals – Spring Season
Congratulations to our Grand Finalists:
The U15s played off for 5th / 6th position in their Comp.
Summer Competition Registrations
The Spring season is now over. The Summer Season for the T20 Blast and Sixers Competitions starts-up again on 27 January 2018 and runs until 10 March.
Full details of how to Register will be provided early in the New Year so continue to watch the website for details.
Round 11, highlights
Best performances from the Round 11, 1-Dayer came from:
- Congratulations to:
- Gautam Ayyar (D1) – 1,00 career runs
- Tis Mistry (A2) – 100 career wickets
- Best bowling of the Round came from:
- 4/31 by Jackson Preedy (A2)
- 3/6 by Koby O’Meara (B1) in 4 overs
- 3/10 – Gian Gill in C2 off 8 overs
- Team wise our C3’s ran down an imposing score of 238 in 40 overs to win a thriller on the last ball.
Personal Milestone achievements
The list of Current season high achievers and Personal Milestones has been updated on the website. It lists:
- Season top run scorers & wicket takers
- Personal Milestone achievements.
Have a browse to see who has a major approaching Milestone.
Champion player points standings as at the end of Round 11 are:
- Andrew Morris (B2) – 123.3
- Brent Larkham (B2) – 119.0
- Ben Kinchington (D2) – 95.2
- John Rose (D2) – 88.2
- Nick Bennett (A2) – 77.7
- Indranil Mukherjee (C3) – 71.2
- Michael Robertson (A2) – 66.7
- Richard Hughes (C1) – 66.2
- Ray Khamis (B2) – 62.0
- Rowan Keating (A2) – 63.7
“Bistro WPH” Photo of the Month – November winner
Congratulations to Graham Chivers who has won our Photo of the Month (the photo is above) for his photo of the Girls U15 Peden Shield game. Graham will get a $50 dinner voucher at the fabulous Bistro WPH – here
Photos are always welcome. To enter it is simple:
- Just take a photo of anything to do with our Club – Kanga, Girls, Boys and Seniors
- The photo can be of our players batting, bowling or fielding
- Also, we are keen to get any ‘quirky’ photos that are a bit of fun.
For our January Photo, just take a photo and send it to Ross Anderson (here ) with some brief commentary and it is that easy.