News – 21 August 2022
- On-line Registrations – OPEN
- Seniors Club training started – underway and being run at the West Pennant Hills Sports Club (103 New Line Road)
- Season start 2022/23 season:
- Juniors (Mixed) – Saturday 10th Saturday
- T20 comp – Saturday 10th September
- Main Competition – Saturday 24th September
- Girls – TBA but likely to be early October
- Junior Blasters – Saturday 8th October
Registration via the following links:
- Junior Blasters; Master Blasters; Juniors (mixed) & Seniors – Register here
The new PlayHQ system that replaces MyCricket is now live and is being used for all Registrations. The major change is that CA is moving away from a unique MyCricketID to an email address that will be sole identifier.
If you need more info on how to register then check out the accompanying short video – it is very good and explains why the change and how to register very well – Registration – why the change and how to register
This season we now using a new way of ordering merchandise – playing & training shirts, caps and hats. The new system requires you to order clothing through Kingsgrove Sports Order merchandise – here – a simple process using this link.
The simple process is covered on the Rego landing page and allows you to view and purchase in store and online.
To collect you will need to either pop into the Nth Parramatta store or Kingsgrove will arrange for a courier to your door at a small delivery charge.
Role of Women and Girls in our Club
CNSW recently released an interview with Kirsty Newbury, our Club’s Diversity & Inclusion’ Manager, in a series ‘Wicket Wisdom’ where she talks to women about their experience in cricket Clubs. It is a series that aims to inspire women and girls to give volunteering in cricket clubs a go.
The interview is inspiring both about the role and contribution of women and it is especially great to see also the callout that Kirsty makes of Suz and Grant Colburt, the folks behind the scenes in the Girls and a supportive Club Executive Committee and the direction our Club is heading.
If you are a female, of any age, and interested in putting back into the Community then this is a must listen to interview – listen here
T20 World Cup – ‘Squads’ initiative
The Men’s T20 World Cup kicks-off on 16 October and runs until 13 November. In brief:
- 45 matches played across Adelaide, Brisbane, Geelong, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney
- Australia drawn with New Zealand, England and Afghanistan in addition to two teams who get through from Round 1
- Final to be played at the MCG on November 13
- First time Australia have ever hosted the pinnacle men’s event for T20 cricket
Cricket Australia has set up a great initiative called ‘Squads’. This is an initiative where people supporters for each of the participating countries can be part of a national supporters group. To find out more check out the following links:
- Australia – Squads – Australia
- Afghanistan – Squads – Afghanistan
- Bangladesh – Squads – Bangladesh
- South Africa – Squads – South Africa
- Sri Lanka – Squads – Sri Lanka
- West Indies – https://www.facebook.com/groups/squadwestindies
Check out the links and be part of the build-up – THIS IS YOUR SQUAD V3
The Association has released the Season calendar and it can be viewed – Season calendar
Level 1 Coaching
A Level 1 Coaching accreditation course has been arranged as follows:
- When – Sunday 25th September
- Where – Edward Bennett Oval
- Time – 10.00 am to 12.00 noon
- Cost – Free.
This will be on the CNSW Coaching website shortly and will be open to the public but we will get first go. More info will follow shortly.
We will again be offering Blowfly Cricket to our players with autism at James Henty Oval. More details to follow shortly.
Channel 10 – The Project story
Check out the News report on Channel’s 10 ‘The Project’ –Blowfly TV item from about 1:43 secs.
If you are playing this season please don’t delay. Teams are filling quickly and once caps are reached we close registrations with a waiting list then applying. We are getting close to this in some age groups already. So….please don’t delay.
The season format reverts to the pre-Covid arrangement. The season format has been released on the Association website – Season calendar . In summary though:
- Round 1 – starts on Saturday 10th September 2022
- Round 14 – 17th December with a 5-week break over Christmas / New Year
- Round 15 – starts again on Saturday 28th January with 5 weeks of normal Comp games
- Round 19 – last Round of the season is Saturday 25th February 2022
- Semi Finals – Saturday 4th and 11th February 2023
- Grand Final – Sunday 12th March 2023
Our Club only exists thanks to the wonderful volunteers who make everything possible for our players to enjoy their season.
We are reaching out to fill several roles that all have volunteers who will be moving on as their children move on from Juniors soon. These volunteers will guide anyone interested in assisting- most require a very minimal amount of time, but are vital to the running of the Junior Club, plus give you a greater understanding of how the Club runs – plus a great deal of satisfaction for being part of the team that puts the kids out on the park each week.
If you would like to contribute and can offer your help, please contact me – firstname.lastname@example.org or 0478 965255 to discuss what is involved.
- Assistant Grounds Coordinator – (booking grounds through Council)
- Yearbook Coordinator – (collating team reports for our printer)
- Clothing Coordinator – (ordering clothing from our supplier)
- Academy Coordinator – (communicating to participants)
- Team Photo Coordinator – (rostering team photos)
- Assistant Registrar – (collating registrations into age groups)
- Under 13 Age Coordinator – (communicating info to U13 Team contacts)
- Under 15 Age Coordinator – (communicating info to U15 team contacts)
There are 4 x formats for Girls and the details are below:
- Junior Blasters – girls & boys aged 5 to 7 years of age – Saturday morning
Fast paced games using a soft ball and plastic bat. Players learn, in a fun way, new skills that includes catching, throwing and Teamwork.
Registration link – Junior Blasters Registration
- Stage 1(a) – Master Blasters (Girls Only who are new to cricket) – Friday Twilight (Thornleigh Hub)
A fun and active program for Girls of all abilities – whether it’s your first time with a bat or you’re a backyard cricket star. Games are played on Friday nights at Thornleigh Oval.
Age range (guide) – 7 to 10 years
Registration link – via the Association website by following the Register | PlayHQ and select ‘Girls Only Thornleigh Hub Master Blasters’
- Stage 1 (b) Sixers Girls Cricket – Saturday afternoon (1.00 pm)
T20 format cricket for girls aged 8 to 12 years in the North Shore Junior Cricket Association (NSJCA)
Age range (guide) – 10 to 11 years
Registration link – Stage 1(b) – Register here select ‘North Sydney Junior Cricket Association (NSJCA)’ and then select the ‘GIRLS SAT 1.00pm SENIOR STAGE 1’ category.
- Stages 2 & 3 – Sixers Girls Cricket League – Saturday afternoon
T20 format cricket for girls aged 12 through to 17 in the North Shore JCA competition.
Age range (guide) – 15 to 17 years
Registration link – Stages 2 & 3 – Sixers Girls Cricket League – Register here and select ‘North Sydney Junior Cricket Association (NSJCA)’
New Girls playing uniform
What an exciting time for Girls Cricket in our Club. This season we are launching a brand new coloured playing uniform (shirt & pants) that features an impressive Indigenous design specific to our local area that has been enthusiastically approved by the local Darug Custodian Aboriginal Corporation (DCAC).
The playing shirt and Volunteers shirt (reverse colours) is approved by the DCAC for the use of Women and Girls only.
We are having a launch on Sunday 18th September that will involve:
- Come & Try Day
- A Darug Elder to explain the design and the responsibilities of everyone who wears the playing gear
- An Indigenous current WBBL / WTest player to present the clothing to each player
- Channel 7 is likely to come along and give it coverage
- Local Councillors and much more.
The format of the Seniors season has been released by the Association. The season calendar has been released and can be seen at Season calendar . In summary though:
- 10th September – Round 1
- 17th September 17th – Round 2
- Semi Final – TBC but likely on Sunday 25th September
- Grand Final – TBC but likely on Sunday 16th October
- Round 1 – 24th September
- Semi’s – 4th & 11th March 2023
- Grand Final – Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th March 2023
We are reverting to the usual pre-Covid format of 7 x 1-dayers (during December & January) and 7 x 2-dayers with these games mainly played before Christmas and just before the Semi’s.
There is a requirement that all players are vaccinated. Captains will need to confirm with players to sight evidence of the tests. More on this shortly.
Cricket Australia acknowledgement
Cricket Australia recently sent us a congratulatory note:
“….playing a vital role in the amazing growth of women and girls playing the game over the last four years.”
With input from Cricket NSW, and national participation data from Cricket Australia, WPHCCC has been identified as one of a group of clubs in Australia with the potential to further grow girls’ participation.”
After recently winning the national ‘Women’s & Girls initiative of the Year” this is further great recognition of both the health of Girls cricket in our Club but also that Girls cricket is on the move nationally and especially in our Club.
Great news that our former WPHC Junior, Lisa Sthalekar, has been appointed President of the Federation of International Cricketers’ Association – the first woman to take on this role – Lisa Sthalekar – congratulations .
The position has previously been held by former South Africa batter Barry Richards, former West Indies all-rounder Jimmy Adams, and most recently by former England batter Vikram Solanki. Lisa played for us from the U10s to U16s (1989 to 1995). Well done Lisa.
Well done Kirsty our being chosen to participate in a 7-week program on ‘Women Leader’s in Sport (WLIS) Program’ https://www.sportaus.gov.au/grants_and_funding/wlis through the Australian Institute of Sport. Kirsty is our Diversity & Inclusion Officer and has done great things for Girls cricket in our Club.
This will give Kirsty the opportunity to strengthen our offering to the girls in time for this coming season. It will also give Kirsty the opportunity to connect with other women leading through sport all around the country.
Well done Kirsty.
National Community Cricket Awards – Winner
“The Community Cricket Awards celebrate the amazing work of volunteers from across the country and provide an opportunity to recognise the best of the best from across the season.”
On Thursday 19 May, Cricket Australia announced our Girls as the winners of the ‘Women & Girls Initiative of the Year’ for the amazing work done by our Girls Leadership (Grant & Suz Colburt & Kirsty Newbury). This includes:
- Leadership program
- Nutrition seminar
- Umpiring sessions led by Claire Polosak
- Festival of Girls cricket at Greenway Park culminating in a Pink Stumps initiative
To quote Kirsty Newbury, our Child Protection Officer:
What an amazing night! We are all pretty excited to have had the program recognised at this level.
We could not have done it without such a supportive team, including Darren McKeon our Stage 3 Coach, and our amazing girls!
Most of all, to Grant and Suzanna for their commitment to improving outcomes and working tirelessly to create an equal playing field for all girls within our Club and Association.
Looking forward to backing it up again this coming season.
This is now the 14th major NSW or Australian award we have won over the last 7 years so this recognition also acknowledges our Volunteers across our Club.
Congratulations on this wonderful achievement.