News – June 2018
Rob Hanich – Association Integrity Cup
Congratulations to Rob Hanich, our Juniors Director who was awarded the prestigious Association Integrity Cup at the Association Presentation on Friday 15th June 2018. This is a fantastic achievement. Rob now joins our Chairman, Barry McDonald who has won this twice and Julian Bish (former Juniors Director) – well done Rob, this is well deserved and we are proud of you.
Justin Paterson – proud father
A special congratulations to Justin Paterson and Claire who are now the proud parents of Matilda Rose Paterson who was born at 1.00 am yesterday. Patto is our 23rd A1 Captain and joins the tradition of A1 Captains having a baby while Captain.
The Miscellaneous category in our website Photo Gallery has a photo of JP and Matilda. It also has photos of our other Captains who have had babies during their reign as Captain – have a browse to check out this esteemed group.
Our Club Leadership Team for 2018/19
Congratulations also to our Leadership Team who was elected at the AGM on Monday 18 June:
- Chairperson – Barry McDonald
- President – Andrew Miedler
- Vice President (Snr) – Bill Peterkin
- Vice President – Jane Bish
- Director Finance – Peter Lees
- Director Girls – Graham Chivers
- Director In2Cricket (Kanga) – Bill Peterkin
- Director Juniors – Rob Hanich
- Director Operations – Ross A
- Director Seniors – Andrew Fiedler
- Sponsorship Manager –Sreeni Pillamarri
Greenway Park upgrade funding approved
Through the combined effort of all the local sporting groups that use Greenway Park (AFL, Baseball, Cricket, Little A’s and Rugby League), Julian Leeser (our Federal Member) announced $2.7m in funding. This includes $1.6m for a Community Club House facility to be built on the grass bank between Greenway Park 1 and 2 Ovals and $1.1m upgrade to the Ovals.
The Clubhouse will be a large facility with a veranda on both sides of the building, open community space and meeting rooms, air conditioning, large TV, undercover storage for gear and a display area for Trophies and Awards. Players and supporters will be able to sit on the veranda and watch the games.
The Oval upgrade will see Greenway Park widened, seating installed on the Hill and we are also looking at specific improvements to the cricket facilities. These include:
- Nets being rebuilt as they would need to be demolished as part of the ground widening
- Our ‘wish’ includes a turf wicket, electronic scoreboard and lighting sufficient to use the nets at night
We are also meeting with CNSW to see what additional support they can provide to help make Greenway Park into one of the best cricket facilities in North west Sydney.
This is a great outcome and will be ready for the 2019/20 season. More info follows – here
2018/19 season Registration
Online Registrations will be open from the first week in July. Keep a look out for details as you can register and avoid coming to Rego Day.
- When: Sunday 5th August 2018
- Where: Oakhill Drive Public School
- Time: 00 pm to 4.30 pm.
You are welcome to register on-line from early July and avoid having to come down to Oakhill Drive.
Registration Day is still popular with people who:
- Are new to our Club and want to discuss how the season operates
- Try-on clothing (shirts) to get the right size before ordering
- Parents of Kanga players especially come along to find out more about the season and what to expect
- Parents and children who want to pop down and say g’day to people they played with last season.
Club Survey results
In February we ran our whole Club Survey. We got a great response with 284 people responding from our Academy, In2Cricket (Kanga), Junior Boys & Girls and Academy.
The results have been reviewed by our Club Executive and Actions have been taken for initiatives to address the areas that need focus. The main findings are summarised:
What we do well
- Club culture & Organisation seen as very good.
- Club level (website)
- Social media / Facebook
Participation over Results (75% support)
Coaching is rated highly with the Clinics and Academy getting high satisfaction assessments in the high 90% level.
What we can improve
- Cascading of information – what and how we do things
- Junior Teams – regular commitment of selected players
- Seniors selection – transparency and movement between the top Grades
Kanga ongoing ‘Coach the coach’ support
What should be improved
- Seniors selection guidelines to provide transparency
- Monitoring of Participation over Results
- Association rules are hard to follow
- Frequent Draw changes, late advice
- Development and support of Junior Coaches
- Selection of players who only play a small number of games leaving Teams short
Strength of Competition / number of Teams
The detailed results will be shared with our Club closer to the next season start when our various Committees will go through the results in more detail and then share the next level of results.
Congratulations to our Premiers & Runners-up
With Seniors finishing their Grand Finals on Sunday (18 March) congratulations to our Premiers and Runners-up for this season:
- U11 Orange
- U12 Red
- U16 Gold
- Runners-up – U11 Purple
- Premiers – D2
- Runners-up – B2 (Red)
Thanks to everyone who played, volunteered and supported our Teams this season. The website will be updated regularly during the off-season so check-in frequently to keep in touch with how next season is progressing – our 88th season.
Congratulations to our Junior Premiers who played on Sunday 11 March:
- U11 Orange
- U12 Purple
- U16 Gold
Congratulations also to the U12 Red Team who were Runner up to the Purple Team.
Presentation Day – major Award winners
Congratulations to our major award winners this Season:
- John Coulthard (Junior Player of the Year) Trophy – Dylan Bish
- Charles Booth Memorial Award – James Stuart-Gray
- Ross Anderson Trophy (U11 Rising Star) – Blake Morrison
- Volunteer of the Year:
- U8 to U11 – Ratna Siva
- U12 to U16 – Andrew Morris
The James Webb Memorial Trophy for most dismissals by a Wicketkeeper was won by Matthew Schwartzel (U16 Gold) with 21 catches plus 3 assisted run-outs. Well done Matthew.
The cricket season will start-up again in early July and we are again looking at entering Teams in the U13, U15 and U17 Age Divisions. We are also looking at running a T20 Blast competition. More will follow on this as information becomes available.
Congratulations to our Girls selected in the Association Peden (U15) and Mollie Dive (U13) Rep sides.
Well done to our selected players:
- Danielle Chivers
- Tuvini Jayakody
- Grace Keane
- Ragini Sen
- Esha Tiwana
- Amy Hale (Reserve)
Mollie Dive squad
- Sahana Anand
- Aliya Colburt
- Sofia Culus
- Aadya Jaiswal
- Olivia Lownds
- Caelan Meredith
- Trinity Newbury
Congratulations to our Award winners:
- Lisa Sthalekar Award (Player of the Year) – Lily Campbell
- Volunteer of the Year – Mal Hall
- Batting – Lily Campbell (148 runs @ 24.7)
- Bowling – Minoli De Silva (9 wickets 14.7)
- Team award – Amy Harkin & Danielle Chivers
- Batting – Esha Tiwana (160 runs @ 53.3)
- Bowling – Amy Hale (8 wickets @ 13.25)
- Team award – Jess Phillips
- Batting – Tuvini Jayakody (91 runs @ 45.5)
- Bowling – Aliya Colbert (10 wickets @ 6.5)
- Team award – Trinity Newbury.
The Seniors Presentation Night was held at Castle Hill RSL on Friday 4 May 2018. Congratulations to our major Award winners:
- Player of the Year – Andrew Morris
- Outstanding Prospect – Brent Larkham
At Club level, Peter Lees won the Prestigious ‘President’s Award’ for Service to the Club. Outside Life Membership, this is the most prestigious award in our Club. Well done Peter.
The achievements of Andrew and Brent are outstanding:
Andrew Morris (B2 Red)
- 672 runs @ 39.5
- T20 – 139 runs @ 69.5
- Total runs – 811 @ 42.6
- High score – 101
- 33 w/k dismissals (8 stumpings)
- Association’s top run scorer for B2 Grade
Brent Larkham (B2 Red)
- 702 runs @ 46.8
- Highest score – 200* runs (only the 6th in our History)
- Number 2 in the B2 Association batting aggregate
- Youngest double century scorer in our History
- 17 wickets @ 21.7
- Best Bowling – 4/32
The Photo Gallery has photos from the night.
Congratulations to our B2 Red and D2 sides that played in the Grand Final on 17th and 18th March 2018.
- B2 (Red) lost to Normanhurst-Warrawee
- D2 defeated defeated Hornsby to win our first D2 competition since 2006/07.
Points standings as at the end of the season are:
- Andrew Morris (B2) – 175.1
- Brent Larkham (B2) – 148.2
- Ben Kinchington (D2) – 127.2
- John Rose (D2) – 111.0
- Tanay Hira (A2) – 97.1
- Nick Bennett (A2) – 96.2
- Indranil Mukherjee (C3) – 94.1
- Manu Verma (C3) – 92.5
- Dan Costigan (A2) – 91.5
- Ben Meikle (B1) – 90.5
Pink Stumps Day wrap-up
Congratulations to Ratna Siva and his U9 Team for raising just on $9,000 for the McGrath Foundation. Tracey Bevan, who heads-up the McGrath Foundation, has sent us a special YouTube thank you note. This can be viewed on – here
To quote Tracey:
“We are enormously grateful to you and everyone else involved for giving your time so generously to hold a Pink Stumps Day, so from the bottom our hearts thank you very much. With your help, our 119 McGrath Breast Care Nurses all across Australia will be able to continue changing lives of Australians experiencing breast cancer.”
For the record we have raised the following amounts since 2010/11:
- 2010/11 – $1,900
- 2011/12 – $1,000
- 2012/13 – $5,000
- 2013/14 – $6,000
- 2014/15 – $6,800
- 2015/16 – $2,000
- 2016/17 – $6,000 (includes $2,000 raised at Armidale)
- 2017/18 – $9,000
- TOTAL – $37,700