Match Report – T20 Semi Finals – 9 October 2016

1st Grade (A1 & A2 Grade)

WPHC 8/142 lost to Berowra 163 – our combined A1 &A2 side put in a great effort that pushed Berowra. Batting first we kept Berowra to a gettable score after they got away to a flyer at 10 runs an over on the fast Warrina Street Oval. Best with the ball was Rowan Keating (3/24) with James McBrien (2/24) and Michael Robertson (1/20). The standard of fielding and catching was outstanding with a highlight being the running effort by stand-in keeper Lachie Vile who ran 30 metres to fine leg to take a diving effort.

Batting, we started really well with Alex Robertson (55) and Phil Wurth (31) putting on 70 in 8 overs. We pushed the large total but losing wickets in clumps kept making putting the total just out of reach. We ended up 20 runs short but pushed hard to make this a competitive effort. Well done fellas.

2nd Grade (B1 & B2)

WPHC 99 lost to Mt Colah 7/102 – results to come

3rd Grade (C1 Grade)

WPHC Blue 8/142 lost to Normanhurst-Warrawee 9/149 – Dural Park was looking lightning fast today, and we would’ve loved to have batted first, but alas the coin continues to fall the wrong way and we found ourselves fielding. Normanhurst’s top order took caution to the wind and teed off in the first 6 overs – any delivery not in the block-hole when the distance. They were 2/56 before the fielding restrictions eased, and we introduced Stanton Tam to the attack.

He struck twice in his first over, and brought us back into the game. From here we were able to reduce the flow of runs (to an extent) and surprise packet Rohit Ninan continued his great form with the ball to take 3/20 off his 4 overs of leggies (mixed with the odd ‘Murali special’). Semonn Oleksyn also chipped in with 2 wickets, and we ended up restricting Normo to 9/149.

Our turn to bat and we felt we were in with a great chance to run this total down. After the early loss of Aaron Carlini in the 1st over, Andrew Fiedler (20) and Michael Gunn (40) consolidated and kept the run rate on target. Fieds fell at 57 after the 8th over, starting a collapse. We lost 5/28 over the next 6 overs, and really gave ourselves a mountain to climb. Enter Matt Rashleigh (20) to join Rohit (36). They put on a quick-fire 52 run partnership, that got us within striking distance. We needed 15 to win off the last over with 4 wickets in hand, and the call went up – ’14 for a Super Over !’.We tried, but only managed 7.

So our T20 campaign is over, but we had great fun while it lasted.

4th Grade (C2 Red)

WPHC Blue 5/147 defeated Berowra 8/145 – losing the toss and being sent in to the field we set about trying to take an early wicket. Amith Ninan (1/32) got the breakthrough in the 5th over. The opposition started to form an important partnership, until the introduction of Stu Fiedler (1/20) brought about the wicket of the Berowra opener. Sreeni Pillamarri bowled a great spell to restrict the run rate and was rewarded with 3/23. Matt Digby finished off the innings with 2 wickets on his last 2 balls. This sent us to the change of innings in good spirits chasing 145.

Ian Paterson and Indranil Mukherjee got the run chase off to a great start. Putting on a quick fire 34 run partnership. While in the field, Joel Herzog fell awkwardly and aggravated a shoulder injury. This didn’t stop him from trying to chase down the total in fine fashion. Joel played a classy innings with a great combination of power and finesse. Alex Chidgey (13no) and Joel (88no) put on a 71 run partnership to pass the opposition’s total. A hard fought victory that has put us through to the GF!

5th Grade (D1 / D2)

WPHC Red 5/163 defeated WPHC Blue 7/94 – the Reds won the toss and batted at Greenway. Roger Friend’s Blues took 3 quick wickets inside 7 overs to have the Reds 3/38 off 7 overs. Andrew Morris 101* retired not out then batted with Steve Quanborough (22) for a 94 run 4th wicket stand in a 9 over blast. Andrew retired not out and the team finished on 163 with Paul Vink 13* and Ben Waldron 10*.

In response some tight bowling early from Paul Vink 0/6 off 3 overs really put the pressure on the Blues. Cody Waters batted well for 29 runs with other runs shared around. The Reds D2 stars Siby Joseph 2/19 off 3 overs and Ian Williams 1/11 off 2 took the first 3 wickets. Enter Ben Waldron (3/15 off 2) whose radar was a little off in the first over take the game away from the Blues. Ben’s second over started with a dot followed by a crucial clean bowled. The very next ball a stumping was performed well by Andrew Morris. Hat-trick ball Ben comes in and the batsman plays the ball straight in the air to the left side of bowler Ben who plucks out a full stretch dive for his hat-trick – only the 45th in our history. A wicket to Steve Quanborough bowling pace (1/5 off 2) was the last wicket to be had.

A good fun game that was taken away from the Blues with Andrew Morris’s blast and Ben’s wonderful hat-trick.