News – 19 November to 26 November
“Bistro WPH” Photo of the Month – November photo soon to be decided
Our Photo of the Month is getting lots of interest with all photos loaded into each Gallery. Just search the Gallery by entering ‘2017’ into the Search section to see all the photos.
The winning photo will receive a $50 Dinner voucher to use in Bistro WPH – www.wphsportsclub.com.au/bistro .
To enter it is simple:
- Just take a photo of anything to do with our Club – Kanga, Girls, Boys and Seniors
- The photo can be of our players batting, bowling or fielding
- Also, we are keen to get any ‘quirky’ photos that are a bit of fun.
Our Photo Gallery is a bit like a family photo album so the more variety the better.
Just take a photo and send it to Ross Anderson (here ) with some brief commentary and it is that easy.
Our Club History, that was launched at the AGM, is now on the website and can be accessed via the Menu at the top of the Home page.
If you want to find out more about our Origins as a Club and the History of the West Pennant Hills and Cherrybrook district then this is a must read. It also has all of our records that will be updated each year.
This is a substantial document that is broken up into ‘bite sized’ bits so that you can have a read sections when you get a chance.
WPHCCC Cricket Academy – only a few spots are available
We are excited to be launching our own Cricket Academy starting in late November. It will run for 10 weeks. No other Club offers anything like this and it will be available exclusively to West Penno players.
We have been amazed at the response rate. There are only a few spots available in each Academy stream. Once filled, you will need to go onto a waiting list so.
Who is the Academy intended for?
- WPHCCC registered players – Boys, Girls of all ages plus Senior players
- Players of all abilities from those new to the game to elite Representative players – the program is adapted to individual skills
- An Individual coaching option is also be available for those players who want to have intensive personal 1 on 1 coaching.
What happens at the Academy
- The Academy will be run over 10 weeks with a Coach / Player ratio of around 1:6
- Academy Registrations will be capped to ensure that every person gets personal focus
- Sessions will be both Outdoor and occasional Indoor sessions depending on weather conditions and availability
- Session numbers will be capped as follows:
- U12 – U13: 18 players
- U14 – U16: 18 players
- 16 years+ / Seniors: 12 players
- Girls: 12 players
- 1st and 2nd Grade District cricketers will provide specialist coaching on fast and slow bowling plus wicket-keeping.
When is the Academy held?
- Day: 29 November
- Ground: Greenway Park
- U12 – U3 4.30 pm to 5.30 pm
- U14 – U15 5.30 pm to 6.30 pm
- 16 years+ / Seniors : 6.30 pm to 7.30 pm
$200 for a 10-week Program. This cost is ridiculously low and is well below any comparable Cricket Academy Program available – anywhere.
We can do it at this low price as we operate on a not-for-profit basis and our Club subsidises any cost shortfall so that our players can get the best coaching available at very low cost.
The Academy is proving very popular and sessions are filling up fast and will be capped at the numbers above to get the best quality outcome. Late registrations will be added to a waiting list so don’t delay.
How do I register?
Please contact the person for more information and details on next steps:
- Girls – Graham Chivers on email@example.com or 0415 891 004
- Junior Boys – Rob Hanich, firstname.lastname@example.org or 0414 551 546
- Seniors – Ross Anderson on email@example.com or 0422 841 169
To help with planning we need please to have Registrations completed by Wednesday 15 November.
Round 5 results
Round 5 was played on the weekend. We will update the scores and provide a brief Match Report by Monday. We are playing the following games:
WPHC 4/108 defeated Thornleigh Healy 2/106 – match report to follow.
U15 Spring Comp
WPHC 4/92 lost to Lindfield Robertson 7/147 – match report to follow.
U17 Spring Comp
WPHC 0/146 lost to Castle Hill RSL Thunder 2/158 – a close loss in a high scoring game. Report to be provided shortly.
Registrations remain open all season but to play in the same Team as your friends please don’t delay registering. Once registered, you are guaranteed a game and in the Team of your choice.
CNSW gave Sahana Anand from our U13s an opportunity to be the ‘Roving Reporter’ for the day at the Australia Vs England Women’s Test at North Sydney. The Photo Gallery has all the details and there is also a Facebook entry that records the day – here
Sahana’s story, in her own words, is captured below:
“My experience as junior journo for the women’s ashes on day 3 at North Sydney Oval was a tremendous one. I had the opportunity to watch my favourite team play, take snaps with the Australian and English players and interview famous Cricketers.
Firstly, I introduced the day’s proceedings with a mention of the weather and atmosphere in the stadium. Was a bit nervous but started enjoying my role. Secondly, got to interview Belinda Clark the famous Australian Cricketer who has scored a double century in a One Day International game and take a few pictures as well as her autograph on my hat, t-shirt and my mini bat. I did get a few interesting tips from Belinda. By now my nerves were settled and was feeling awesome.
During the dinner break, I interviewed the budding Milo T20 and Sydney Sixers cricketers finding out when they started playing and who inspired them to play cricket. Guess what, it was none else than the great Aussie Elyse Perry who is my inspiration too.
I also played a bit of cricket in the ground with them and giving them a few tips. At the end of the day’s play, I got to interview the great left arm spinner, Jess Jonassen! It was a great pleasure talking to her and knowing about her career and Australia’s chances in the game.
By now I was already over the moon!!! Now, it was time to get the autographs and take photos with my favourite cricketers Elyse Perry, Jess Jonassen, Alyssa Healy, Mitchel Starc and a few of the English players.
It was a phenomenal experience meeting cricketers, having their autographs and also taking pictures with them. While everyone was starting to leave, I had to wrap up the day’s proceedings by providing an update on the status of the match.
It was not only a memorable day for me but also my favourite cricketer Elyse Perry who scored 213 without getting out and becoming the highest individual scorer for Australia in a test match. With a real heavy heart but fully satisfied, I came home.
Don’t forget to watch my video on Facebook Southern Stars or Twitter @Southern Stars”
Our Juniors played Day 2 of Round 5 on Saturday. Highlights from Day 2 are:
- Patrick Dixon (103*) – U15 White Vs Beecroft
- Team effort – U15 White scored 8/272 was our highest score of the Round.
- Dylan Bish (5/9) – U16 Blue Vs Kenthurst (off 9.5 overs)
After 5 Rounds the standings are below:
- U16s – 2nd (Blue), 3rd (White), 4th (Gold)
- U15s – 4th (Blue), 6th (White)
- U14s – 4th (White), 5th (Blue)
- U13s – 7th (Red), 8th (Orange), 14th (White)
- U12s – 5rd (Purple), 6th (Blue), 7th (Red), 12th (Orange), 17th (Green)
- U11s – 1st (White), 2nd (Orange), 3rd (Gold), 4th (Green), 8th (Blue), 14th (Red).
- U10s; U9s & U8s – non competition.
Our Skills training sessions continue on throughout the season.
These are free sessions with our talented high performance Coaches providing high quality skills based training.
The schedule is:
- When: Monday afternoons
- Where: Cherrybrook Public School
- Time: 5.00 pm to 6.30 pm
- 20 November – U12 Purple, Red & Girls
- 27 November – U11 Blue, Green & Orange
- 4 December – U11 Gold, Red & White
- 11 December – U10s
- 5 February 2017 – U9s
- 12 February – U8s
- 19 February – U10s
- 26 February – U9s
- 5 March – U8s
Your Team Manager will be in touch with you about the next steps. Our Facebook page will also post the roster and lock in the numbers for each Team.
Round 5, Day 2 Highlights
Some great performances this weekend:
- Congratulations to our players who took their 100th career wickets:
- Peter Flook (A2) Vs ARL
- Aaron Hawkins (B2) Vs SKLPS
- At Team level, the D1 boys had an impressive day out:
- They had an outright win over Berowra
- Made the highest score of any Team in the Round with 8/386
- Dean Carlin (B2) took 5/25.
Match Reports have been updated and can be seen on the Match Reports section of the website.
Personal Milestone achievements
The list of Current season high achievers and Personal Milestones has been updated on the website. It lists:
- Season top run scorers & wicket takers
- Personal Milestone achievements.
Have a browse to see who has a major approaching Milestone.