News – 5 December 2021
Breaking news (Sunday morning) – Sreeni Pillamarri, Club Executive Member and player (C3 & C4) was elected overnight as a Councillor on Hornsby Shire Council. Sreeni becomes the first person in our long history to be an elected Government representative while still playing and will be a great voice to support community sport and obviously cricket at Local Council.
Well done Sreeni!
Cricket Australia recognition
During the week, we got a call from Cricket Australia letting us know that we are one of just 6 Clubs nationally (1 from each State) to figure in a Grass Roots cricket promotion that will include social media and TV coverage during Channel 7’s coverage during the Ashes.
The reason – we are acknowledged by Cricket Australia as being one of the best Community Cricket Clubs in Australia and meets all the criteria they have for excellence – Coaching program, inclusiveness, promotion of women, Junior Blasters, Junior Boys and Girls and disability cricket.
3,000th Junior Blasters player
During the week we registered our 3,000th Junior Blaster player. Started as Kanga cricket way back in 1992/93 we were one of the first Clubs to run a program for the 6 to 7 year olds. Think about this for a second – that’s an average of 103 players aged between 5 and 7 every year for the past 29 years!
The player just happens to be a Girl and is one of 11 Girls playing in the Junior Blasters. Add to this our Junior Girls clocked over their 1,000th registration this season this is an amazing result.
Welcome Divi Home Loans – our newest Sponsor
Great news. We are delighted to welcome Divi Home Loans as a Sponsor. Check out the sponsorship page to find out more about Divi and how we can all support those businesses that supports us – here
Divi gives our families an option to get the best deal of home finance (new loans, refinances, health checks). Our Club in return gets sponsorship support that we put back into Junior development, training improvements and growing girls and disability cricket.
Sam Ryan, a Director of Divi will visit grounds, introduce himself and hand out brochures during the season so make him welcome.
An unusual one.
One of our Club members works for the Merivale Group (Justin Hemmes) that, among other things has won the contract to provide hospitality for the SCG during the BBL and Test Series and are seeking hospitality staff.
If you are interested in working at the SCG during the cricket season, in the hospitality industry and getting full training there are opportunities available now.
Just contact: Daniel Junkkari on 0425-509-670 or call the Merivale Group directly – here
Blowfly Cricket support
One of our great achievements is to setup and run a Blowfly Cricket program for our young people with autism. Bill Peterkin and Mike Kinchington have our on the ground leaders who have seen Blowfly cricket develop into an important part of our Community.
Bill is now also involved with his son’s MasterBlasters cricket and Mike is going to live on the South Coast in the New Year. So we need to start planning succession.
This is an early shout out for someone who can be at James Henty Oval on Friday nights between 6.00 pm and 7.30 pm to just be present and to supervise the program that pretty much runs itself.
If you are interested in making a difference to the lives of people with disability and their families, then think about becoming involved. So if you want to make a difference and can set aside 90 minutes on a Friday night for a rewarding experience then think about this wonderful opportunity.
To find out more, without any commitment, contact Bill Peterkin on here or 0488 110 942.
Girls Rep trials
Trial details for the U13 Mollie Dive and U15 Margaret Peden sides that play in the NSW Youth Championships
- Date: Monday 13th December
- Time: 5:00pm
- Where: James Park, Hornsby
Registrations have reopened. For those who have not previously registered, click on the link : here
Match day details:
- Games are played on Sundays starting on 6th February, ending with the final on 27th March.
- U13s play 30 over a side one day cricket
- Under 14s play 40 overs a side.
Association Seniors Umpires Captains Course
The Association ‘Captain’s Course’ for Seniors Captains is being run on-line. Details are:
- Website link –: Umpires
- Learning resources – under the menu item RESOURCES and LINKS, this will direct you to: The MCC Laws and The 2021/22 HKHDCA Local Playing Conditions
- Exam link – the on-line exam is on the HKHDCUA Web site, under Learning & On-Line Assessment. You will need your MyCricket ID, your name as it appears on the Mycricket registration, and your email address to check into the exam.
- Exam details – the assessment must be completed within a period of 90 minutes. Results will be advised directly to your Club Secretary, and to the Senior Competition Secretary.
Coaches Association – Junior Cricket Clinics
It is coming around quickly – the New Year Junior Coaching Clinics in the January 2022 school holidays. Check out the flyer – here
These are highly recommended by our Club and have a long history of excellence. They are run by the legendary Bruce Wood on a not for profit basis and have among the best Coaches in the Association.
Over the past decade alone, there have been 60 successful school holiday clinics for boys & girls aged 6 – 14 years of all abilities.
- When – Tuesday 11 & Wednesday 12th January
- When – Monday 17th & Tuesday 18th January
George Thornton Reserve
- Monday 24th & Tuesday 25th January
- $135 / clinic
- $200 for 2 x clinics
Please use the following link – here
We can’t use the Schools this season due to Covid restrictions so training will be limited to fewer venues.
Your Team Manager / Coach has the details about training days and venues and everyone should now be ready to go.
Training days and times are:
- Where – Sports Club Nets
- Time – 4.00 om to 7.30 pm
- Where – George Thornton Reserve
- Time – 4.00 pm to 7.30 pm
Best Performances of the Round
Round 6 results are.
- Aden Hanich (C4) – 102*
- Cameron Bish C2 Blue – 84*
- Vedant Virmani (C3) – 74*
- Anshuman Mahajan (U17 Blue) – 5/16
- Tis Mistry 5/20 (A1) – 5/20
- Louie Bennett-Brown (U12 Purple) – 4/3
- Ansh Gupta (U13 Red) – 4/5
- Zia Ahmed (C4) – 4/5
- Shomik Sengupta (B2) – 4/11
- John Rose (C3) – 4/17
Highest Team scores
- 3/236 – U13 Blue Vs WPHC Gold
- 165* by A Mukherjee (50*) & A Pratheesh (54) for the 2nd wicket – U14 Green
- 114 by L Kohlhagen (84) & S Gowda 44) for the 3rd wicket – U15 Red
After 6 Rounds, the standings of our Teams are:
- U16/17s – Blue (=1st); Red (=3rd); Orange (=3rd); Gold (5th)
- U15s – Red (1st); Blue (4th); White (=5th)
- U14s – Blue (=2nd); Orange (=6th); Green (=6th)
- U13s – Blue (=1st); Red (=3rd); Orange (=8th); Gold (=10th ); Green (16th)
- U12s – White (=2nd); Purple (=5th); Gold (9th), Green (=10th); Red (=10th); Blue (16th)
- U11s & U10s – no competition points
- MasterBlasters – no competition points
Our Girls play in the North Shore JCA. Standings are:
- Stage 3 (U17) – 6th
- Stage 2 (13 to 17 years) – Haynes (=5th); Gardner (=10th); McPherson (12th)
Girls Leadership Program
This season we are doing something special for the Girls in our older Age Groups – a first for any Clubs in our Association.
Kirsty Newbury is developing and running a Leadership program for our older Girls that runs for a half day rather than over 5 weeks as originally scheduled. The program covers:
- Understanding Leadership
- Getting your message across
- Empowering others
- Walk Tall, Lead with Heart
Our aim to develop a program that is repeatable and will benefit Girls players in the future.
In effect we are providing our Girls players with an opportunity for personal development and growth that no one else provides will be something special for all WPHC girls and their families.