In 1994/95 Darryl Daniels took 4 wickets in 4 balls. Due to the speed of dismissals 3 different umpires made the first 3 decisions. On the hat-trick dismissal, a fine edge went to the keeper and the umpire put his finger up very slowly, after hesitating. One of the fieldsmen, believing the decision was going against the team, yelled out ‘are you deaf or something’. Only then did the fieldsmen realise that the Umpire had two hearing aids. The hat-trick has made cricket folklore – it is recorded in a book by Kersi Meher-Homji called Hat-tricks.
A debut to remember
22nd January 2011 – C2 Red Vs Kissing Point
Got to hand it to Zain Shamis (13 years old) who filled in for his dad (Faisal) at short notice. Zain had appeared nervous playing his first game at this level and when he came on to bowl his first ball, he was smashed for six. However, he was not going to be overwhelmed by the occasion and picked up a wicket the very next ball by bowling a slower ball to dislodge the off stump. Thereafter he picked up another wicket the next ball and then almost completed a Hat Trick. A day young Zain will remember for a long time to come. Well done Zain.
The mountain conquered
29th January 2011 D2 Vs Thornleigh-Hornsby
Peter Westerberg (D2 Captain) achieved his 100th career run in his 98th innings. Coming into bat (at number 11) the D2 boys were riding every ball to see if Peter could achieve this milestone before his 100th innings – and he did. The run was a pull shot. The milestone was acknowledged with both arms raised – acknowledging this milestone that has taken a while in coming. A few facts about this achievement. Peter started playing for us in 2002-03 and has not missed a game. This was achieved over 98 innings with 32 not out innings – another record. The photo gallery has a photo of this achievement.
Campbell Park (1952/53)
Constructed on land given to the Cricket Club by Mr Campbell who had the sloping block running from New Farm Road. WPHCC levelled the ground and built the fencing. The 1952/53 Association Annual Report commented: “A fine spirit of self help is being shown by WPH. They have guaranteed that they will construct the wicket and lay water onto the ground as well as providing enough chain wire to fence the banked up section. A truly grand effort.” It was used for the 1956/57 A1 Grade Final.
In 1988/89, Hornsby Council built a brick fence along the boundary and the dressing room was upgraded.
- B1 Vs Perseverance (Final) in 1967/68 were all out for 4 runs! A Club and Association record.
- Rob Gailey (C1 1991/92) scored 205 after having a hip and knee replacement. This is the 3rd highest score by a WPH player behind the 225 scored by Kevin Smith in 1956/57 and John Chadwick 215 (C1) in 1952/53.
- 6/1/2007 – Jeremy Foley C2, had 21 runs taken off an over (the 4th highest in our history). The next over was the amazing one though – he took a hat-trick.
- 1/11/2008 – Andrew Fiedler scored his 4,000th career run to put him into the top 10 Club run scorers of all time.
- 5/12/2009 – Daniel Anderson scored 134* and became the youngest player to score a century for WPHC in Seniors. Daniel was 14 years, 6 months and 27 days Vs Kenthurst playing C1 Grade
- December 2009 – Gareth Linaker playing in the U16 T20 match hit 32 off 1 over at Campbell Park (full boundary). Sequence was 6-6-6-6-4-4.
- 31/10/2010 – Glenn O’Connor (C3 Blue Captain) had one of those fabulous innings. In a team total of 191 Glenn belted 145 this included 25 fours, 1 six and another personal best – a 3 all run. An even better achievement is that this is 75.9% of the team total – our 2nd best ever performance over 81 years
- 19/10/2013 – Rugesh Naidu (46) and Anthony Taylor (30*) put on an Association C3 Grade 10th wicket record partnership Vs Kissing Point
- 25/10/2014 – C4 Grade scored 6/462 dec. in 58 overs Vs Castle Hill. This is the 3rd highest score in our Club history and An association record for C4 Grade. The highest individual score was 87 by Gautam Ayyar (87). The innings had 318 runs in boundaries (just behind the B2 record of 326 set the week before).
- 1/11/2014 – Peter Flook (C3) took 7/30 Vs Castle Hill RSL.
- 26/11/2016 – Ishaan Singh (C3 Grade) took match figures of 11/58 (3/18 & 8/40) Vs Hornsby.
- 4/11/2017 – John Rose (113 runs) and Ben Kinchington (104*) set D2 2nd wicket Club Record partnership of 214 Vs Thornleigh @ Campbell Park – 4 November 2017
- 1/12/2018 – U13 Green Vs Berowra scored a record 5/326 to break the previous record on 4/315 scored on 10/10/2015
- 19/12/2019 – Joel Herzog (C2 Blue) scored a record 36 runs off the final over on a 1-dayer. The scoring sequence was NB; NB (4); 1; 1; NB; dot; NB (6); NB (6); 6; dot; NB; dot; NB; dotThis beat the previous record of 32 scored by Matt Scoular (Colts @ Storey Park 27 January 2008) with a sequence of: 4,4,nb (4),4,4,4,4,nb (4),4 Vs Kenthurst @ Storey 27/1/2008
- 20/11/2021 – Happy Rana (D1 Blue) scored our 500th century